dominiques

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bunch-a-chickens, Dec 28, 2007.

1. bunch-a-chickens

bunch-a-chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2007
    Claiborne County Tn.
    does anybody know if normal sized dominiques lay good or not??

2. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    I don't know from personal experience but I've read somewhere that they are not prolific layers but do make good mothers when they go broody.

3. KingsCalls

KingsCalls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2007
    New Market,Tn.
    Standard Dominiques are what I'd call "sporadic layers". Some will lay well while others will not and seems they will lay for a while then take a break all of a sudden. I Only have recently gotten Dom bantams and plan to get a few more. My grandfather use to have standard Doms and this is where I got my info. on the standards. The Dom lost popularity partly due to being less of a layer than Barred Rocks, RIR's and a few others and because they were somewhat smaller which meant less of a meat bird. I am interested in them because they are a heritage breed.

4. ksacres

ksacres At Your Service

Nov 16, 2007
    San Antonio TX
    They aren't as good of a layer as some other dual purpose breeds, but they will lay whenever they feel like it, winter, summer, fall, whatever they want to do they do.

5. peepkeeper

peepkeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2007
    upstate New York
    My standard Dominiques are pretty steady layers, and they started early, at about 18 weeks. Large brown eggs. I myself have no complaints, but then I'm not in the egg business so whatever I get is fine with me, I don't stress if I don't get a quota.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by