Domnijoe Pets and Art - The Birds

Lock, Stock, and Barrel, my quail hens, were not my first foray into quail keeping. My first three were Chase (Because he liked to 'chase' the hens around), Squick and Farscape. I got them at a petstore that has since gone out of business. They had buttons and coturnix quail for sale. I was intrigued. After rushing home to do some research, I decided to give my first Coturnix a try. I brought home a Roo and two hens later that week. Finding a good food for them was hard, but the pet store I bought them from had an insect, seed and pellet mix that was a decent alternative. A good alternative, but EXPENSIVE. A 10 pound container cost almost $70. But my little misfits, who lived on the bottom of my aviary with the cockatiels and budgies, were happy. Squick ended up living 2 years, chase 2 and a half and Farscape lived until she was almost 3. There were minor problems, like the poop balls on their feet and the case of bumblefoot, and the single case of prolapsed uterus, but otherwise things went well. I still have a lot to learn about keeping pet quail. I love my little ones dearly and it shall be a good, interesting and informative while as they live in my home :) I intend on keeping my birds better than I did last time, even if it means awkward situations like asking for someone to help carry a 50# bag of game bird feed to the apartment door, LOL!

Chase is at the bottom, Squick at top.
Chase and Squick.JPG

And Farscape checking out an egg at the bottom of the old aviary.
Farscape at back of cage walking.JPG

From Left to Right, Squick, Mindwipe and Chase :)
Inside of community cage squickMind Chase.JPG

Well, I candled the conure eggs yesterday morning and they're all duds. Not a chick insight. Means either have two hens (Most likely) or my male is a dud. Both birds are starting to lose interest in the eggs. They must be bored to death of them.

For those not watching my threads - I've had some issues with my two coturnix hens, Stock and Barrel, fighting. They're better now that there's a place to hide, but they will still chase each other much to my dog's glee and my annoyance. My new quail enclosure arrives next week sometime. I so can't wait to have a new cage - and BIGGER one- for them to cohabit in.

Dr put me on an increased dosage for medications that should help with my motivation. I've had almost no motivation to draw or paint, or hell, play my recorders. Here's hoping my new dosage does the trick! I really really really want to paint again!

Reposting from my 'Bought a Cheap Incubator' thread :)

Candled the eggs this morning. Today is day five :) . Out of seven eggs, two are duds, One is a possible and the others I just don't know. I'm just too inexperienced :p

Last edited:
Because the temps in the apartment are so cold, my incubator has issues keeping warm. I have a towel wrapped around it and that seems to be doing the trick. I don't candle for another 3 days, so I'm worried that I'll kill the embryo in the one egg I did find veins in.

**Shrugs** It's an experiment. Anything can happen :)

Your username caught my attention. I own a conure as well, a cinnamon green-cheeked. What mutations do you have?
Hey there :D. I have a pineapple and a normal green. The confirmed hen is the pineapple. The 'male'... I think I need to get him DNA sexed, as he and my hen had a clutch of eggs and nobody hatched. **Shrugs** Ah well :) (Please excuse the terrible picture)

Tsunami and Batburd on eggs _2 eggs dec 23 2021.jpeg

Hey there :D. I have a pineapple and a normal green. The confirmed hen is the pineapple. The 'male'... I think I need to get him DNA sexed, as he and my hen had a clutch of eggs and nobody hatched. **Shrugs** Ah well :) (Please excuse the terrible picture)

View attachment 2972064
Very nice. I have a soft spot for the pineapple mutations.

Back
Top Bottom