Don’t know if something is wrong or if I’m over obsessive.

Chick3nLover

Songster
Mar 15, 2022
Hey everyone! I have a 3yr and 5 month old Easter Egger, who just seems less like herself. Let me try to put her usual personality into words😂

Very dominant
The leader
Sleeps alone on purpose
Loves and usually runs to the gate to see me before the others or with them.
Sweet yet has her own boundaries of space.
Busy and energetic
Very social and an all around fun hen.

Lately however, she just seems a tad bit off in her personality. She’s way less dominant allows two other hens to sleep with her. Seems to really enjoying preening and resting between 4-6pm that’s when I usually come out for the 2nd time to see what there up to.

She'll flap her wings every once and a while, she’ll eat mealworms and breakfast (my mom lets them out in the morning, so that’s what I’ve been told). But she just seems off for being the leader hen. Ya know? Anyways I’ve checked her poop, sprayed her for lice, even though I see nothing on her vent. Her crop feels like she has Little rocks in it at night, and tomorrow I’ll be waking up early to see what is feels like then. I don’t know exactly when she laid her last egg because I have 3 blue layers, but I believe it was around 2—2.5 weeks ago.

Anyways maybe it’s the weather or her age, I just don’t know.🤨

Any kind advice is welcome and appreciated thank you!🥰

Also I didn’t mention it, but we are building them a new coop, could that cause any added stress?🤨
I don't think so, unless you have a lot of loud things going on, such as loud saws, nail guns, and falling boards (all of which are a big part in every one of my mom's building projects). that might scare the chickens. did something maybe fall on her during the build? like a ruler or something small, not like a big heavy metal tape measurer, just small stuff. even a small screw could easily spook her.
Have you moved the hens into it yet? or is this coop just in construction mode right now? a new enviroment will stress them out, especially for the oldies.

I don't think so, unless you have a lot of loud things going on, such as loud saws, nail guns, and falling boards (all of which are a big part in every one of my mom's building projects). that might scare the chickens. did something maybe fall on her during the build? like a ruler or something small, not like a big heavy metal tape measurer, just small stuff. even a small screw could easily spook her.
Have you moved the hens into it yet? or is this coop just in construction mode right now? a new enviroment will stress them out, especially for the oldies.
We only had one loud saw, and that was on Sunday. The only other loud noises would be from us naming in the netting nails.

The only other thing, is that sometimes we work out there until 9pm, which is 1.5 hours past their roost time.

As for them moving in, no. We are very very extremely close to it being completely done, but it’s still doesn’t have shutters , or a rain proof walls, just wire. And the nesting boxes are still a work in progress. And the ramp to the coop. But other than that, they should be moved in by this weekend.🤞💜

Back
Top Bottom