Don’t think it’s Van Gleet.....

Adelefox

Hatching
Mar 15, 2018
I live in Alberta Canada and have 2 laying chickens. We are unable to take our one chicken into the vet and so are attempting to get some possible info online even though we know that’s not ideal.

If you can assist us in any way or redirect us that would be greatly appreciated.

We have 2 chickens. This one pictured below started having what we thought was vent gleet. So I isolated her, bathed her daily, gave her yogurt, probiotic, apple cider vinegar. The stinky swollen- ness appeared to clear up better although not totally. The photos are a before and after we bathe her so you can see the issue (sorry it’s gross!)
3F09B72A-5922-4198-AB1A-86017F212939.jpeg
3F09B72A-5922-4198-AB1A-86017F212939.jpeg
AB1D6A74-DFA6-4284-AA14-0FABE576557F.jpeg

It’s been about 6 weeks now and she continues to have difficulty. The pic below is a before and after washing. She has started to lay sporadically and there is no blood on the eggs.

Our other chicken that is together with her is very healthy and laying. They are in the same coop with no apparent issues. I continue to give them yogurt and a small dose of apple cider vinegar in their water.

Any thoughts or hypothesis you can give us would be greatly appreciated. We are not sure if she has an untreatable intestinal deformity or not.

I would try to get some fluconazole from a vet, and if not possible, get some Nystatin. You usually get it from a vet, but I think that you can buy it online from First State Vet Supply. It does look like it could be vent gleet, a fungal infection, and either of those should help treat it.

I would try to get some fluconazole from a vet, and if not possible, get some Nystatin. You usually get it from a vet, but I think that you can buy it online from First State Vet Supply. It does look like it could be vent gleet, a fungal infection, and either of those should help treat it.

Thanks so much! I will look into this. Do you happen to know if you can still eat the eggs when chickens are on these medications?

Back
Top Bottom