Donating surplus to food kitchens?

NHMountainMan

Free Ranging
Feb 25, 2019
New Hampshire
My Coop
My Coop
In another thread @drumstick diva (I think) mentioned donating surplus eggs to charity.
Does anyone have issues donating their surplus?

I'm planning on raising surplus meat chickens for a local food kitchen. It was difficult to find anyone to accept home reared chickens unless they were processed by a certified butcher. I did find one that will accept the surplus, but it took a while.

Has anyone else tried to donate? How did it go?

I’ve been told our local food pantry will accept eggs. The fact that some cannot accept home processed meat does not surprise me, but glad you found one that will.

some people have expressed concern that if a person got sick from the donated fresh food, you could be liable...but I’m not sure that really could happen bc of all the variables in storage and final food prep by the recipient.

also, if you do this, you may be able to itemize as a deduction like any other donation. Of course, I’m not a tax professional, so you would need to look into this for yourself. But, might be worthwhile if you donate regularly.

The food pantries in my area are constantly running out of eggs, milk, and almost never have any meat other then frozen sausage patties... occasionally they will have fresh vegetables that a farmer donated his surplus. Usually fresh fruit - apples or oranges

I only have 3 girls <ducks> that currently are on sabbatical. However, when they do start laying, I'm just gonna take them to the church food pantry to donate the excess. My surplus went down after I had to rehome 6 of my babies, so I quit trying to sell them.

You'll want to checkout this site https://www.farmtoconsumer.org/poultry-map/ you'll likely be processing under the 1000 bird exemption, there are specific labeling requirements but you can get the labels pre-printed from a number of different sources.
Thank you for the link. I'll be processing maybe 50-100 at most.
Really appreciate the advice!

I’ve been told our local food pantry will accept eggs. The fact that some cannot accept home processed meat does not surprise me, but glad you found one that will.

some people have expressed concern that if a person got sick from the donated fresh food, you could be liable...but I’m not sure that really could happen bc of all the variables in storage and final food prep by the recipient.

also, if you do this, you may be able to itemize as a deduction like any other donation. Of course, I’m not a tax professional, so you would need to look into this for yourself. But, might be worthwhile if you donate regularly.

Thank you. I understand why they're be concerned as well. But paying $5 / bird means it becomes a bit more than in willing to spend.
You're right about eggs - everyone will accept them.

Good for you @NHMountainMan. I know there is a guy in Mason, NH that is a USDA certified processor. I haven't produced enough to donate yet but I'm hoping to reach out to the local food pantries when the chickens start laying again. Since there are a lot of farms in my area I'm sure donations would be welcome.
I've contacted several butchers and hoped is find someone willing to donate their services, but so far, no one will. I understand why but I had to try.

The one place we found that will accept it is a location where my wife and I already volunteer. We cook one meal a month for about 80 diners in need. They'll accept the donation as long as we do the cooking. I don't know the math on number of chickens I'd need for that many people but I'll worry about that in the spring.

Thank you @Wee Farmer Sarah for the name of a butcher.

Back
Top Bottom