1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Donkey may have herpes please help

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Maryallison, Jan 29, 2011.

1. Maryallison

Maryallison Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2008
    Fountain, Florida
    Any info will be appreciated here. I have owned my donkey just a week and today while trimming her hooves my friend pointed out there were spots on her anus & vaginal area and swollen. At 1st I thought it may have been just poo pieces, but it is spots there. And this is the 1st donkey (or large animal I have ever owned) so I did not noticed anything was swollen. And my donkey seems sensative about her back end being touched. My friend brought up herpes.

Thanks, any tips, websight, any thing would be helpful here

2. welsummerchicks

welsummerchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    Your friend that thought the animal had herpes - is s/he a veterinarian? If not, s/he probably can't tell what the animal has or doesn't have, just by looking at the animal.

My suggestion is to call the vet and have him/her come out and look at the swellings, pay for them to do whatever they need to do to get a diagnosis, and then treat the animal as the vet recommends.

There are a lot of different things it could be. Bites, rub marks, signs of kidney disease, a variety of different contagious/STD. I would not make any assumptions about what it might be til a vet got a look at it.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2011
  3. Maryallison

Jul 18, 2008
    Fountain, Florida
    Thanks, I was just seeing if anyone may have any 1st hand experience here and could offer any help.

4. welsummerchicks

welsummerchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    I understand how you feel, but when it comes to something like this, even the most experienced person, from the internet, is unable to tell what is wrong with the animal from the description, they are just guessing.

The most helpful thing anyone can say is to get a vet out.

Especially since you just got the animal, you don't know what other animals it was in contact with or what it's been through in the last little while, whether it has recently foaled, whether it has been bred, and perhaps you have no record of what vaccinations the donkey got lately. So there are an awful lot of possibilities, what it could be.

It could be as simple as this donkey was injured in transport, or it could have some type of infectious disease. There are many other possibilities.

I take it you don't have any other horses or donkeys as you said this is your first large animal. That would be good, as this could be something contagious.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2011
  5. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:Theres nothing wrong with posting this question on here! Dont worry about it.. [​IMG]

We have a lot of folks with donkeys on here!.. many of them more than willing to offer their experiences with their donkeys...
    hopefully they will chime in and give you some info pertaining to your question...
    Good luck! And yes, as a percaution, i would also get her into the vets if you have any concerns...

6. Maryallison

Jul 18, 2008
    Fountain, Florida
    Thanks Redhen. I hope someone with some experience will cime in and give me some kind of advise.

I know little about jenny before I got her, but I do know she was probably bred by the jack & my poor girl could be a month pregnant. She was recently wormed. She has never had a baby before. I still do have the man's number I purchased her from and I did think about calling him. he had many donkeys & mini horses and he was in a wheelchair. I think perhaps he was doing the best her could with them. I love my jenny & I am really hoping she is going to be ok. We have found 1 vet that could come out (for a large fee) and that seems to be my only option. I plan to do some online reasearch before I jump into anything. My Jenny will be well taken care of and in fact she is already getting better care with me than she had gotton before. Today she got her hooves trimmed and my girl did really well! [​IMG]

7. WIChookchick

WIChookchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    Rural Brooklyn, WI
    How old is she, and is she a grey or white donkey.
    She could have melanoma, it is common in grey horses. not usually something to worry about just a little unslightly.
    There is a vague possibility of a urinary infection, it could lead to sores.
    Is she stabled or in with any other animals now? there is also the possibility she is in heat and attracting the attention of another animal.
    Those could be nips/bites, something could be trying to suckle, and not succeeding. She could be very itchy and rubbing her tail and private parts on something rough...

With out having a vet out, its hard to tell.

Hope all is well.
    Carol

8. dewey

dewey Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    north of eternity
    Aww, poor girl. Glad she has a good home with you now. Your friend could very well be correct, who knows? The stress of a move could be enough to surface it, and especially if there was no sign of anything before that. I'd go ahead and call the previous owner to see what he says about it while the vet makes her way out to check her. Does she have a temp or any other symptoms? And that's awesome she did so good getting her feet trimmed. How was she before with trimming? Did she trailer well for you if she hadn't before? Hoping the best for her.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by