Don't assume everyone has Caller ID !!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Sunny Side Up, Sep 24, 2010.

1. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    I think the rate at which technology is advancing is phenemonenal! However, it's not safe to assume that everyone with whom you're interacting has all the latest equipment and gadgets.

In particular, do not assume that everyone has Caller ID on their phones. I know that all the new home phones are equipped with these displays, but if a homeowner does not opt to pay for that service then phone numbers are not displayed.

In our effort to trim our household budget to the barest minimum, we have chosen to not include the extras like Caller ID, call waiting, & 3-way calling. So it's frustrating when people call when we're not home and leave a message on the answering machine but do not leave a call-back number. They'll say something like "just call the number you see on the phone, good-bye!" This is especially upsetting when people call in response to ads I've placed to sell chicks or ducklings. I am sure I've lost a few sales because of this, but still doesn not justify the expense of these phone extras.

My kids are the ones who record our outgoing messages, I've told them to include the instruction "Please leave your number, we do not have Caller ID". I hope that our callers will listen & respond.

Please remember this when you call and leave messages for people, especially those you do not know. Do you have other examples of how fast-advancing technology has left you frustrated?

2. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

Sorry, I don't talk to a machine.......

3. booker81

booker81 Redneck Tech Girl

Apr 18, 2010
    Mid-MI
    I hate talking to machines too, but my job has trained me to leave my name, number, time, message, and number again with a pleasant closing. I must sound like solicitor when I call....at least that's what my parents say (who don't have caller ID, AND screen their calls [​IMG] If I think they are home and screening, I do start with some sort of goofy political greeting, saying I'm running for govenor or something.

But for other folks, especially Craigslist, I'll leave the "solicitor" message. [​IMG]

4. twentynine

twentynine Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    In the course of normal business these days, if you ain't willing to "talk to a machine" you will be losing business.

However a proper message, who, what, why, and when should be left.

5. joletabey

joletabey SDWD!!!!

Apr 9, 2009
    western NC
    Hey, I am with you, we don't have caller ID either-

6. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    My first thought was, if they're not wise enough to realize not everyone's phone records incoming numbers, they're probably not wise enough to give your chickens a good home, either.

7. Sunny Side Up

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    Another thing that many people assume is that you have unlimited free long-distance on your home or cell phone. They give me numbers to call them which have a long-distance area code. I have to ask them as soon as I call "Is it free for you to call long-distance? Could you please call me right back? It's costing me to call you." I have a cell phone to use for emergency contact & urgent messages, it's a pay-as-you-go plan and I can make a $100 refill card last all year.
    [​IMG] I'm old enough to remember party lines, busy signals, and the introduction of all these wonderful new methods of communication. I think it's great, and would indulge in more if I could afford it. But those who do need to remember that the whole world doesn't yet share these conveniences, or they are going to continue to miss getting their calls returned.

8. PineappleMama

PineappleMama Chillin' With My Peeps

My In Laws recently dumped their Caller ID, like you to trim down expenses, and I'm thinking about it myself. Mom, Sis, In Laws, DH's bud Andy and DS's bud Jesse are the main callers here, rare occasion my Dad or brother... the rest are telemarketers, poll people and a LOT of wrong numbers. It's to avoid all those that I love Caller ID... but it is an expense. We've got an answering machine, and those who know us know that if they're calling from a new number then we won't answer so start rambling into the machine and if we're home we'll pick up.

I donno how many people give me the stink eye for not having a cell phone... but it's not any worse than DH's family's attitude about us not having cable... we don't even have rabbit ears... FIL/MIL will come for supper, but don't stay long 'cuz no TV, BIL doesn't come much (good thing IMO he makes me nervous), and my SIL... phew hers won't even come over period... not for dinner, not for a birthday party, nothing... they're THAT addicted to TV... movies, music, video games, computers (and don't forget you can watch tons of movies and shows online for free) just isn't enough... it's nuts IMO. But not any worse than the 1st graders that whip out their cell phones the minute they're out of school... what the heck is THAT?!?

Mostly I'm good with those... not paying out the nose every month for something we don't need, or use FTM... but every now and then the stink eye, comments, avoidance does get my dander up.

OHhh on the phone thing, my mom switched to one of those MagicJack jobbers... only downside that I can see thus far is that if your internet goes your phone goes... which if your power goes out and all you have are cordless phones that's not a big deal, but we always keep a regular phone (and the number to Oncor) right next to the outlet for those situations so for us at least it would be a downside. But, still... 39.95 (plus S&H) for a YEAR's service (19.95 for add'l year) that includes local, long distance, call waiting, caller ID... I'm giving it serious thought... but I wanted to wait and see how my mom liked it first, just what the quirks were, if any, etc... you know they aren't going to tell you on the ad. So far so good, no extra fees so true on that, only hangup I've heard of is the power thing, since it is hooked right into your puter. Would still have to pay for internet connection, we love our DSL for play and for DH and the kids' school, but that'd be 14.95-19.95/month... "no phone line" type DSL... so I'm adding it up, $20/mo DSL + 40MJ = $330/yr or 27.50/month... my AT&T bill BEFORE ALL FEES TAXES ETC is 24.99 just for DSL right now... so yeah, prolly be a big savings for us.

I'ma hold off jumping the gun until February, ask Mom for a final review, and then see what we can see. Unless of course someone on here happens to have one and can offer any insight??

9. Whispering Winds

Whispering Winds Chillin' With My Peeps

We get that option FREE with our phone co. . . surprised you don't have that at least. I always leave my number too, just out of habit, but sometimes also if you get a LOT of calls even with caller ID, how are you suppose to know which number goes with what call . . .unless you look at the time maybe?

10. Sunny Side Up

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    Another thing I've found is that employers are now expecting their employees to have personal cell phones available for use during business hours for business purposes. Years ago, when cell phones were becoming more common, Mister worked for a company that supplied all their field service techs with company cell phones (to replace their beepers, remember those?) They had a service that allowed all the techs to talk to each other for free, like walkie-talkies. Mister could pay a few extra $$$ each month to get minutes he could use for personal calls.

Since then, he's worked for other companies that just expect him to supply a cell phone number so they can keep in contact with him during business hours. I think that isn't right or fair, but he says that's what they all expect now. I guess it's like expecting employees to show up for work wearing their own pants & shoes. He's also been using a pay-as-you-go plan, but I think he should instead get one of those flat-fee unlimited-minute plans, I think the cheapest is $40 a month. That's really a LOT for our small budget, but it's less than paying 10 cents a minute for the amount of time he uses.

Does anyone know a cheaper cell phone plan?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by