Don't buy this waterer.

This looks like a pretty good one. How tightly does the lid lock on? I like that the cord can be unscrewed and disconnected. It seems like it would work well set on top of a small bucket. The only thing I immediately don't like is that it's not transparent.

It locks pretty tight and can get frozen in place if you get thaw/freeze cycles where it warms up enough to thaw and then hard freezes. I plan my refills around when the weather is warm enough for the top to not freeze in place.

It's sized to perch very well on top of an upside down bucket, which also places it at a pretty good height for standard size birds to access. A upside down flower pot could probably work as well if you want to adjust the height.

The fact that it's not transparent is a bonus for me, I specifically looked for that, as an opaque waterer in my location doesn't grow algae. But yes that does make it hard to see how much water is in it. I'm pretty good at figuring out how full it is by just giving it a lift with the handle - if I have to try to lift it, it's still full enough.

It locks pretty tight and can get frozen in place if you get thaw/freeze cycles where it warms up enough to thaw and then hard freezes. I plan my refills around when the weather is warm enough for the top to not freeze in place.

It's sized to perch very well on top of an upside down bucket, which also places it at a pretty good height for standard size birds to access. A upside down flower pot could probably work as well if you want to adjust the height.

The fact that it's not transparent is a bonus for me, I specifically looked for that, as an opaque waterer in my location doesn't grow algae. But yes that does make it hard to see how much water is in it. I'm pretty good at figuring out how full it is by just giving it a lift with the handle - if I have to try to lift it, it's still full enough.

The fact that it's not transparent is a just minor inconvenience as long as I can pick it up without the bottom falling off or it spilling everywhere. Seems like it would be a good fit for what I need.

I went ahead and ordered that waterer from Premier 1 Supplies. It says it should be here in 4-5 days. It's supposed to warm up above freezing tomorrow through Tuesday but hopefully it will be here before Wednesday when it dips back down. If not Ill just have to keep changing out their water a few times a day. Thanks for the suggestion!

Well I did get a notification that the waterer shipped, though I still don't have it. Up until last night it stayed above freezing, but currently it's 24°F outside so their water keeps freezing over pretty quickly. I'm managing it as best I can until the new waterer shows up.

I have this little coffee kettle that will bring about 2 quarts of water to a boil in less than 3 minutes. I've just been going out every few hours and dumping out the ice, and about 1/2 of the water and then pouring in the hot water. The hot water mixed with the near frozen water seems to bring leave it at just about the right temp.

IMG_20191211_091940477.jpg

Well I did get a notification that the waterer shipped, though I still don't have it. Up until last night it stayed above freezing, but currently it's 24°F outside so their water keeps freezing over pretty quickly. I'm managing it as best I can until the new waterer shows up.
Hang in there Joe!

I have the heated waterer from Premiere1. So far I really like it. I wish it was 4 or 5 gallons instead of 3 (or slightly less). I may pick up a second one someday. My only other little complaint is that I wish there was an indicator light of some kind to show that the waterer is getting power. It freezes so infrequently here (maybe once or twice so far this winter) and it’s connected with an extension cord...so it would be helpful for my peace of mind to see at a glance if it was turned on and working. I love the removable cord for the summer, and the nipples haven’t frozen yet (though the lid did—had to thaw it with a cup of warm water). I have some minor complaints but I don’t regret buying it. Let us know how you like yours!

Yep, I saw this model on a Youtube video on Worst Poultry Waterer EVER!!!.

View attachment 1975387
Almost great youtube review. Don’t like the idea of shooting the designer /producer though.

Just bring it back to the store ask and your money back. If they won’t, show them what happens if you walk around with such a waterer.

I melted one of my plastic waterers last year when I put a small heater (5W) inside.

Back
Top Bottom