don't ducks feet tear pond liners?

jmc

Crowing
12 Years
Jul 22, 2008
South Central MA
may do a pond with a liner, but wondering how long it would last before their feet tore it. they aren't muscovies, but still..............
tx

I think pond liner is pretty thick and it's made to tollerate things like rocks and boulders so i imagine it wouldnt be damaged much at all by duck nails. My male Muscovy does have some pretty gnarley claws on him though, about an inch long now, thankfully he's friendly!

As long as it's a quality liner, I don't think you'll have a problem. Mine is a Tetra brand and it's really tough. I have bought a few cheaper ones on clearance over the years at Lowes to use for other projects and they are a bit easier to get through. But, I have trouble imagining that a duck would be able to rip through any of them under normal circumstances.

preformed plastic pond liners..................
yes great, but they cost alot and they're not too big.
you can get a billboard tarp material 14 ft. x 48 ft. for just 45 bucks!!
i've got 29 ducks now and will be down only to 23 by summer's end. would have to buy a few pond liners for them all.
kiddie pools are ok, and i use now, but i can't leave em out alll winter or they'll crack in this MA cold...................

I have had a Koi pond for 5 years, long before I ever had ducks, and I used roof liner rubber 40mils and haven't had a problem yet with punctures from my ducks for over a year. There is one grade level higher in thickness, I think it is 60mils, if you are worried.

All rubber pond liners are made by only 2 companies, one is Firestone and Carlisle, the only difference in the rubber for roofs or pond liners, is the way they mark it or package wrap it- it is exactly the same material. Although garden centers will tell you it is different and that roof liners are "toxic" to fish, well that is because they get a HUGE markup on the price.

33324_yes.jpg

Back
Top Bottom