Muscovy Ducks with rotting feet?

Ducky Days

Hatching
Mar 7, 2024
Hi there, I hope that someone will be able to help us with one of our Muscovy hens. We noticed yesterday that she is having trouble walking around and her feet looked to be caked up. We washed her feet off and noticed that they may be starting to rot. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how or if we can stop this from continuing?

Hi there, I hope that someone will be able to help us with one of our Muscovy hens. We noticed yesterday that she is having trouble walking around and her feet looked to be caked up. We washed her feet off and noticed that they may be starting to rot. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how or if we can stop this from continuing?
Could she have gotten frost bite?sure sounds like it.

Could she have gotten frost bite?sure sounds like it.
It is very possible as we had a very cold snap earlier this winter where they were walking in snow and at times one of the hens - I'm not sure if she was the one as 2 of our hens are white - was actually sitting in their pool of water that they have in their pen. We would go out there every day twice a day to crack open the ice on their pool for them to have water. Is there any way to fix/repair this if it is frostbite? I will try to get some pictures, but it may not easy for me right at this moment.

Could you post photos?
1709853678747.png
1709853734884.png
1709853851528.png

Here's some pictures that I was able to take. Hope they help.

That most likely is frostbite. Please take her band off her leg it looks tight.

Here is info
https://duckdvm.com/condition/frostbite
When we have temps like most of us had this past winter we need to keep them from being able to sleep or get into water sources where the water could freeze around them.
Are you just now noticing this? It may be too late to help her if she loses that much of her feet I don't see how she will be able to walk.
I would keep her from doing any more damage by keeping her as clean as possible with bedding and making sure she cannot injure her feet while walking. She may not have much feeling in the dead part any longer.
Any chance of having a vet check her to make sure this is the result of frostbite?

Last edited:
That most likely is frostbite. Please take her band off her leg it looks tight.

Here is info
https://duckdvm.com/condition/frostbite
When we have temps like most of us had this past winter we need to keep them from being able to sleep or get into water sources where the water could freeze around them.
Are you just now noticing this? It may be too late to help her if she loses that much of her feet I don't see how she will be able to walk.
I would keep her from doing any more damage by keeping her as clean as possible with bedding and making sure she cannot injure her feet while walking. She may not have much feeling in the dead part any longer.
Any chance of having a vet check her to make sure this is the result of frostbite?
Yes we just noticed this. We've had a fair bit of rain and all of the ducks had muddy looking feet so she didn't look any different. It's only now that it has dried up that the other duck's feet look normal and her's are still "muddy" looking.

Looking at the info that you sent along, if it is frostbite than once it has started, it says that it is hard to stop. We'll do what we can for her and see if it makes any improvement.

Thank you for your help.

Back
Top Bottom