Dont forget to separate your breeders

It's funny, the year before last, our local Tractor Supply had Storeys goose book. I was just getting into poultry then and didn't even consider getting it. I did get their duck book but haven't seen the book on geese since. Hindsight is a real butt kicker, ya know?

It's funny, the year before last, our local Tractor Supply had Storeys goose book. I was just getting into poultry then and didn't even consider getting it. I did get their duck book but haven't seen the book on geese since. Hindsight is a real butt kicker, ya know?

Same here. The year before last the same thing happened to me. Wish I would have bought it then.

Same here. The year before last the same thing happened to me. Wish I would have bought it then.
Well, all I can say is keep checking at TS. Lol, I've been going round and round with Corp. TS for the last month. While I had them, I complained about the book selection they are now carrying. I mean really? Paula Dean? Don't get me wrong, I like Paula but I can get her mags. or books anywhere. I thought this was supposed to be a farm store? Not sure if it will do any good but the complaints have paid off with the feed at least.

I have a question that I hope someone here can answer for me. My geese are now mating, isn't this kind of early for this part of the country? I have a goose already sitting some eggs. How long does the mating last. I would like to hatch some in the incubator but with the temps and weather we've still got coming to us, I'm a little hesitant. If I have a small window of oppurtunity, then I have no choice but to do it now. Reading books isn't doing me much good as they claim it's not happening here yet, lol.

mating is normal about a month before they really get serious about laying. February eggs are normal as many have March hatchlings. Remember some production breeds lay longer (African & Chinese). Breeding season is spring time, here for us we start in December and end late May-June

mating is normal about a month before they really get serious about laying. February eggs are normal as many have March hatchlings. Remember some production breeds lay longer (African & Chinese). Breeding season is spring time, here for us we start in December and end late May-June
Oh good! I thought this was just a bit early, lol. This year is really crazy as these birds do not seem to be following the 'rules' as I understood them.

LOL!!! Oh how apt that statement is!!! You are so very right about that. I'll check out the links and thanks for the heads up. I haven't been able to find any books on geese locally but have been reading what I can find. I someimes wonder if I shouldn't be using child rearing books instead, with the way they act sometimes.
Ducks are two year olds and geese are 3 year olds
lau.gif
I should know as I spent several years in childcare specializing in 3-5 year olds
big_smile.png

Oh good! I thought this was just a bit early, lol. This year is really crazy as these birds do not seem to be following the 'rules' as I understood them.
Mine are just starting to get going here..... the Dewlap toulouse are pair bonded so that helps... the young Ebden gander is pacing the fence ... he keeps eyeballing the older Roman goose... he's outta luck I'm not changing my mind.
big_smile.png

Ducks are two year olds and geese are 3 year olds
lau.gif
I should know as I spent several years in childcare specializing in 3-5 year olds
big_smile.png

Mine are just starting to get going here..... the Dewlap toulouse are pair bonded so that helps... the young Ebden gander is pacing the fence ... he keeps eyeballing the older Roman goose... he's outta luck I'm not changing my mind.
big_smile.png
Funny!!! I gave them a little more in years, ducks 3 and geese 4-5. The ducks don't seem to have quite grasped the "UH OH!" factor while the geese do. Silly buggers, I still love them.

Mine seem to be taking a break from the frivolities right now. I know it won't last so I am working my butt off trying to catch up and get beyond where I need to be.

Back
Top Bottom