Dont forget to separate your breeders

Okay I think I've got it now. I am going to try and hatch some, but not yet. What are Chinese and Toulouse going to be like?? I wasn't sure of the lighter frame of the C with the T but they have kind of taken it out of my hands unless I want a bunch of screeching going on. I did try it....once. Wow.

Now with the Embdens, I still have a chance of seperating them out. Look for color, lobes, body and carriage? I suppose it doesn't matter but I would like to have good sized and hardy offspring.

If you're just raising goslings for the freezer it really doesn't matter but if you are going to sell them (and do you have a market for them?) you might want to separate them by breed. Purebreds will probably sell better than mutts. There is going to be some screeching when you separate geese but they typically get over it in a few days.

Last edited:
If you're just raising goslings for the freezer it really doesn't matter but if you are going to sell them (and do you have a market for them?) you might want to separate them by breed. Purebreds will probably sell better than mutts. There is going to be some screeching when you separate geese but they typically get over it in a few days.
Mostly for freezer the rest, enjoyment. I don't sell my birds so there's one worry I don't have. Maybe some day, but right now I have to get the home front straightened out before I could even think of a store front.

We tried for about 6 hours with the seperation. I just couldn't take it anymore. The poor goose was making noises as if her heart was breaking and the gander was being mean to her. Bad choice on my part, I'd say. During the Summer and Fall, these two were nearly inseperable. I thought they had bonded. I have got so much to learn, lol.

I don't know anything about Chinese vs. Toulouse, pros and cons but the Toulouse has been a common barnyard breed raised for meat for eons so they might dress out better but if you are raising geese for meat even cross breeds will work out just fine. Geese are the cheapest critter to raise for meat if you have lots of grass for them to graze on. I have 2 links for Mother Earth News articles on raising geese for meat on my white Sebastopol page on my website.
Geese are drama queens so don't let the screaming get to you.
wink.png

I don't know anything about Chinese vs. Toulouse, pros and cons but the Toulouse has been a common barnyard breed raised for meat for eons so they might dress out better but if you are raising geese for meat even cross breeds will work out just fine. Geese are the cheapest critter to raise for meat if you have lots of grass for them to graze on. I have 2 links for Mother Earth News articles on raising geese for meat on my white Sebastopol page on my website.
Geese are drama queens so don't let the screaming get to you.
wink.png
LOL!!! Oh how apt that statement is!!! You are so very right about that. I'll check out the links and thanks for the heads up. I haven't been able to find any books on geese locally but have been reading what I can find. I someimes wonder if I shouldn't be using child rearing books instead, with the way they act sometimes.

I did, I'm on a 6 month waiting list, lol. I think I will just order it online and be done. I have their book on ducks and it's great. Thanks again!

I could but I haven't got one of either, lol. I like to hold a book in my hands and have it take up space on my shelves. We lose power here so often I've learned not to trust electronics. With a book....I can always lay my hands on it and have it work.

Back
Top Bottom