Dont forget to separate your breeders

I have some natural pairings and some deliberate ones. It all depends on what your goals are. With the sebs, sometimes it has to be done for color or for balance.

If you only have one breed of geese though, like Toulouse or Americans, and they are happy flock breeding, no point in splitting them up.

We have 4 breeding pens 90% finished as of this afternoon. Yesterday I ran to town (okay, actually I drove..... ; ), and got 18, 16ft x 50in cattle panels and some latches. We already had a big pile of T-Posts ready to use, so this afternoon it was so nice and warm we were able to drive about 16 posts, and attach several panels. Now I just need 12 night time houses/nesting areas to put in each pen and I'll be good to go, once I get the other pens finished.

I have a whole stack of about 20 10ft x 10ft concreate forms that I am wanting to build a goose barn out of, with 6+ stalls, each stall being 5ft x 10, but for right now I'll be glad if we can get the goose runs finished.

Pictures tomorrow, by the time I finished working outside the moon was already out.

~ Aspen

sounds like you got alot done today
hugs.gif

Thanks everyone, I have a pen set up for them to split its just WAY colder out in that pen then the pen in the barn that they can free range in and out of.. so I was hoping that I wouldn't have to push them out to the confined outside pens (they have shelter just its not as nice as the barn access which stays warm all winter lol spoiled geese).

Its -14 here today YUCK!

Thanks everyone, I have a pen set up for them to split its just WAY colder out in that pen then the pen in the barn that they can free range in and out of.. so I was hoping that I wouldn't have to push them out to the confined outside pens (they have shelter just its not as nice as the barn access which stays warm all winter lol spoiled geese).

Its -14 here today YUCK!
Oy! I don't blame you at all.

The few times its been really cold here, we threw together straw bale shelters outside with lots of straw on the ground, so the birds could come out and stretch if they wanted to. The wind can get really bad on the mountain.

We have 4 breeding pens 90% finished as of this afternoon. Yesterday I ran to town (okay, actually I drove..... ; ), and got 18, 16ft x 50in cattle panels and some latches. We already had a big pile of T-Posts ready to use, so this afternoon it was so nice and warm we were able to drive about 16 posts, and attach several panels. Now I just need 12 night time houses/nesting areas to put in each pen and I'll be good to go, once I get the other pens finished.

I have a whole stack of about 20 10ft x 10ft concreate forms that I am wanting to build a goose barn out of, with 6+ stalls, each stall being 5ft x 10, but for right now I'll be glad if we can get the goose runs finished.

Pictures tomorrow, by the time I finished working outside the moon was already out.

~ Aspen

Waiting for your pictures!

Okay, another question has come up with what happened here yesterday. Morning chores, I noticed one of my trio had prolapse. After moving her into a dog crate in my livingroom [only space available], taking care of her all day yesterday and today, I started thinking. What do you do if something like this happens in a pair? Give up on the season? Swap another out from somewhere else? Just curious. I would never have thought of this if my situation hadn't come up.

you tend to the goose and once recovered return her to the mate. Watch closely after to make sure she is laying well. In actuality she should fully recover with no issues.

By the way I am sooooo glad your girl laid that egg finally yesterday and is recovering now

Last edited:
Oh, me too Celtic, me too! How long a time period before reintroduction? I figure each set of circumstances will be somewhat different, but once she looks and acts healed...2 days, a week? Are there any other issues that would need to be addressed? Like how often breeding should take place?

Back
Top Bottom