Don't have a cow, can't have a cow, but have a cow question...

Thanks, guys! Wow!

I should have mentioned that I would definitely do a bottle baby. I've done goats/sheep on a bottle - and it lasts such a short time, that I certainly don't mind doing it at all.

My other thought is buying from a 4-H kid when he or she is done with his or her calf project - your thoughts?

I have a LOT to learn!!! I had no idea they were called ox when they were "gelded" and grew up! LOL!!! I'm off in search of books - I love to read and it will help me fill the next year while I wait!

How do you correct a calf that's butting you? Like a horse?

A mini, granted a mini cow is still a good sized animal could be a companion to your horses. Well if you have well behaved horses. A mini would also eat a heck of a lot less. We go threw one round bail per 2 months in summer and 1-1.5 in the winter per horse feeding as much as he will eat. The in-laws cows eat one round bail per week or less and they are on pasture 24/7. Cows are eating machines.

Cattle really do best in at least pairs because (like chickens, horses, sheep, goats, etc.) they are herd animals. Steers can be good pets but for me I would prefer a heifer. Most of my cattle experience comes from the show industry (we have raised cattle for commercial meat production, but mainly we have raised registered cattle to show), and I will tell you...at shows, in the ring, steers tend to be much harder to handle than heifers. You rarely see a heifer that gets spooked or feisty and tries to get away, but steers get loose in the ring all the time.

I am not sure why you would not want to breed. As mentioned it can be done all without the need to own a bull. The calf could be used for beef for your family or extra income through selling it at weaning. It is hard to say goodbye to calves that are raised as pets, but it would help pay for the cost of owning the cow. Feeding cattle is not cheap. Especially on small acreage where you will need a lot of hay.

As far as hoof trimming goes, standard cattle do not need their hooves trimmed in a pasture environment. Show cattle do have their hooves trimmed regularly because they are tied up much of the time and do not get as much opportunity to walk around and wear their hooves down naturally. That and a good hoof trimmer can alter the hoof to make the animal walk more smoothly and therefore do better in the ring (one thing cattle are judged on his their ability to walk properly with the least amount of effort). I do not suggest trimming hooves on a non-show animal unless it becomes problematic. The reason is once the hoof has been trimmed the animal may not wear it down as well naturally in the future. We have several past show heifers in our herd that had been trimmed regularly and still have to be trimmed occasionally even years and years after they were shown because of the way their hooves had been altered.

Quote:
yes.

Perhaps part of that depends on the terrain. We have seldom trimmed hooves. Only on a very rare occasion when there is a growth problem. Horses need regular frequent work on their hooves. Our cattle range in age from babies to 10-11 years old, and over a number of years and hundreds of cattle we have had to take a cow to the vet for hoof trim maybe 1 time.

Last edited:
Quote:
One of the reasons that cattle don't make good pets, is that they are less inclined IMO to be 'trained'. We have beef not dairy. There is a steer here that was bottle raised and he is sweet and somewhat dog-like.

Think though, that you are talking, if you get a full sized steer, about an animal that can weigh a ton. We have had a bull throw another 1-ton bull over a 4 1/2 foot tall barbed wire fence, they are so powerful. If they are afraid they can go crazy. Even if they toss their head to disloge a fly, they could break bones in your body without intending to if you are in the way. As cute and sweet as they are, they really don't make good pets. Sorry to say that. Mini's may be different, and dairy cattle are more domesticated than our breed, but they really are 'wild', compared to a horse or a dog. Think about it. You could be putting yourself or your family/friends at risk of an injury if the circumstances came together.

Out here the stocking rate is 1 cow or cow/calf pair per 10-acres. We feed hay from November to Feb. approximately. go farther south and west and the stocking rate is 1 per 20-acres. (Talking forage raised beef).

Head butting is a pretty natural behavior, and the calf uses it to stimulate the cow's milk. It is sooo cute when they weigh 75 pounds and when they are approching 150 they can knock you over, and when they are 300 they could hurt you badly.

They are beautiful animals, but from the experience I have had they can be sweet and docile and yet not pets. They need to have a certain "fear" to move away from you when you get into their space, or you wouldn't be able to manage them. For example. We can hand feed (cattle cubes) some of our cows, a few calves, but they stay as far away as they can and retreat if you get 'too close'.

We never hand feed a bull, and our one steer 'Rocky', who is now about 6 years old....we don't because if he came up to nudge you to remind you he was there, and stimulate you to feed him, he could do serious albeit unintended harm to you. I had Rocky fairly well halter trained as a baby, but I doubt that now, 5 plus years later, that I could halter him.

Others may have different experiences, and keeping a cow without expecting too close personal a relationship (like a horse or dog) could be rewarding. Bottle raising a bably can be rewarding, it the calf will think of the feeder as momma..

To sum it up, I just want to say be very careful with this undertaking.

How good a "pet" cattle make all depends on how they are handled and individual personalities. I have two cows right now that I showed from weaning to two years old. They are now 7-8 year old cows. During their show careers both were completely halter broke, stood for complete grooming, could sit on them, lay down in their stall with them, etc. I have not had a halter on them in years. They have not been groomed in years. One of them is still sweet as can be. You can do anything to her. Walk right up to her in the pasture and give her a hug. She begs for your attention (and feed lol) anytime you go out there. I am willing to bet I could still put a halter on her and lead her around to this day. There other one is no longer able to be handled. You cannot pet her. If you get close to her she will start shaking her head at you to warn you not to mess with her.

Years ago I had a cow all the way up until she was 12 years old. She had been handled daily since birth (bottle calf whose momma died in birth). Her entire life you could do absolutely anything you wanted to her. You could ride her, though she did not rein like a horse. She came running up to you the minute she seen you. She was as close to a pet as any horse, dog, cat, etc I have ever owned. I took many naps with her out in the barn when I was a kid. She was 100% trust worthy without a mean bone in her body.

So, in general if you keep up with cattle's handling from the time they are calves, I would say they can make fine pets. You may not be able to turn them out into the pasture with limited handling and expect them to be dog tame, but if you put the time into it, I think they are great companions.

Back
Top Bottom