Don't have a cow, can't have a cow, but have a cow question...

I don't think that an ox or cow is anymore dangerous to handle than a horse & many keep horses as pasture ornaments/large pets. I work with several thousand cattle & they are pretty much like slower, calmer horses
lol.png

Then again, the horse I ride is a lunatic Thoroughbred so it's hard to conceive something more skittish
tongue.png

The entire male calves I raise get rough at just about the time I'm ready to wean them-2 months old. By a year old, they are downright dangerous but it really looks like a hormonal thing to me. We have both beef & dairy animals. I think you would be best off with a mini breed ox. Mini because of food consumption/handling ease & ox because you don't want any hormonal urges bothering your pet & you said you don't want to breed. The age is up to you. If you get a bottle calf, dehorn it & make sure that it isn't allowed to butt it's head on you from the start or once it gets big, you will have big problems. Teach it about boundaries & personal space & you will have a lovely pet. Also halter break it young.

You cant got past a wee jersey cow for a pet, if you milk her later (after calving if you choose) then it will be real creamy milk and good quantities. Taming - depends on your time, be patient and let them trust you, feeding all the time builds the trust and a touch when you can that is gentle always helps with a good itch as they let you. Our calves love being rubbed under the neck/chin when they are used to touch, (I'll try and post a photo of Grunt our 1.5 week old - he was loving me all over last night
love.gif
it was so awesome) to get them used to touch we just bottle feed them and then calfeteria feed them touching as often as we can. With older calves it is your constant getting close and touching. Just as per chooks. Feed them and they will tame.
1 acre per cow for grass, calves eat less. Watch out over winter for slower grass growth then need hay. Need hay or silage over summer if drought. Need HEAPS of water. Salt/mineral block for selp help access, we use wintering mixes with molasses in as well as other goodies, you could make you your own and put in colloidal silver if you wish. Also homeopathics are fantastic for cows.....just search or PM if you need help on that.
Hooves, havent needed to trim in 1.5 years of our dairy herd, other dry stock we have had over 6 years not needed hooves trimmed. Yay, horses trimming expensive and needed 4-5 weekly! ouch!
Hope this helps
smile.png
Louise

Back
Top Bottom