1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

dont know how to incubate chicken eggs… help

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by pumpkinpiecoffe, Feb 11, 2013.

1. pumpkinpiecoffe

pumpkinpiecoffe Out Of The Brooder

Oct 5, 2012
    hey y'all, me and my family are wanting to hatch about 2 dozen fertile eggs eggs from 4 different hens and i have no idea what to do temperature wise, can y'all tell me what you know about the subject?! I have already put the eggs in (yesterday) but don't know what temp its at or what temp to keep them at please help

2. thasista

thasista Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2011
    KY
    My Coop
    The incubator should be at 99.5 degrees F. I don't add water for moisture until they are ready to hatch (day 18), then I crank up the humidity by adding water in the water trays. Good Luck!

3. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

1 person likes this.
  4. pumpkinpiecoffe

pumpkinpiecoffe Out Of The Brooder

Oct 5, 2012
    is it okay that i put a put of water on there and spray them every two hours?

5. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Temperature in a forced air incubator (with a fan) should be 99*F and in a still air incubator (no fan) 101* measured on top of the eggs. Humidity should be 45% or thereabouts and during the last 3 days you lockdown and up it to 60-65%. Unless you do a "dry incubation". Turn the eggs minimum 3 times a day, more is better and stop turning on day 18.

Here is an excellent article on incubating and hatching eggs that explains everything:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/hatching-eggs-101

and the "dry incubation method":

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/how-to-incubate-hatch-eggs-using-the-dry-incubation-method

Best of luck with your hatch!

1 person likes this.
  6. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    Thank you for the kind words [​IMG]
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/hatching-eggs-101
    you are very welcome to my notes, they are always in my signature! Sumi already linked you with it!
    [​IMG]Good luck with your hatch!

7. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    put down the water bottle. please do NOT spray! they need water the most after day 18.

8. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    Have you read the information in the links?? DO you have any questions??

Do you have a thermometer? Which incubator are you using? I plan to set some eggs to ni ght. I suggest keping a log of sorts, record turning the eggs, the time, the temperature and the date. THe eggs must be turned 3-5 times a day and move them around to various locations in the incubator for even heating.

Wash your hands well before handling.

You must have questions?

9. Angelak

Angelak Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2013
    Macon county,tn
    Ok I still am missing something on incubating eggs,,can someone help me out here?peacock eggs go on sides in incubating,but what end goes down in turners on ckn n duck eggs.I think after all the reading ive been doing my humidity has been to high to start am I right humidity at first before hatch needs to be 45%-55% on all eggs then before hatching humidity goes to 60%-65%?
    Hope to get help soon....

10. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    If you are incubating them upright the pointy end must be down and the fat end up, if that's what you're asking? That way the air cell will develop in the correct position (fat end of the egg) The humidity you mentioned is fine. I incubate chicken and duck eggs at that. I haven't hatched any peacock eggs myself yet, but the recommended humidity I saw is 55% and 65% for lockdown.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by