Don't know what breed or gender you have? Click here!

@junebuggena, I suspected you were referring to Bristol. Thanks for your expert opinion!
It's almost amazing that I ended up with 4 pullets and 1 cockerel this hatch!
That's an unusual proportion for me! Now, as I continue "nesting" I'll return to genetics info links to see how I want to best bring out the qualities I will have hatching next spring!
Thanks again @junebuggena for your always reliable help!

@junebuggena, I suspected you were referring to Bristol. Thanks for your expert opinion!
It's almost amazing that I ended up with 4 pullets and 1 cockerel this hatch!
That's an unusual proportion for me! Now, as I continue "nesting" I'll return to genetics info links to see how I want to best bring out the qualities I will have hatching next spring!
Thanks again @junebuggena for your always reliable help!
I had the exact opposite with my last hatch. 4 cockerels and only 1 pullet.

I had the exact opposite with my last hatch. 4 cockerels and only 1 pullet.
That's what happened on my first ever hatch, 4 cockerels and one pullet. I was a bit confused wondering if that's how it was going to go each time...
I think we all get our share of the male-heavy hatches and our share of the female dominated hatches. This works for me right now as I have 3 pens/coops and I'm not planning to build another one at this time.
I may let the single cockerel stay in with the silkies so I can see how it looks to breed F2 combos.
Thanks again!

Awesome! Thanks! So the lack of a spot on the head means female as well! Correct?
No. For sexlinking to work, the barring has to be on the hen's side of the equation, not the rooster's. A barred rooster will pass a copy to all of his offspring, regardless of gender. The lack of the head spot means that the Dominique is not the father of that particular chick.

Can anyone help me decide wether or not my blue splash chicken is a hen or a rooster? They're just under 2 months old. It's already got a bigger comb than my 4 month old hens. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_0791.JPG
    IMG_0791.JPG
    751.5 KB · Views: 13

Back
Top Bottom