don't know what to do?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by unix_micki, Oct 25, 2012.

1. unix_micki

unix_micki Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2011
    I bought 4 sussex and 3 black orphingtons in July, supposed to be 4-5 months old then, The day we got them they all laid and now only one of the black orphingtons lay, I am about to cull the other 6 that are not laying as I cannot afford to feed what isn't laying. The get enough light, have enough food, free range during the day, enough nesting boxes, special treats, I just don't know what to do, I hate to put down young birds but if they aren't laying what am I to do??

All of my other birds are laying and I have 17 red stars that will lay in the next few weeks.

Help?!?!

2. Y N dottes

Y N dottes Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2012
    South Central WI
    are they molting?

3. Lescas5795

Lescas5795 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 29, 2012
    Georgia
    I would give them some time. My Leghorns all stopped laying for about 10 days or a little longer and now they are laying again. Something was going on and now it is resolved itself. I didn't do anything different for them. If your birds were hatch this year they have a lot of laying ahead of them. If you must cull then eating them would possibly make you feel better that way they are not wasted. That's just me though.

4. unix_micki

Sep 12, 2011
    only 1 is showing signs of molting, the others aren't

5. unix_micki

Sep 12, 2011
    But I have had them for over 4 months now and still not laying?? wish they could tell me what is going on?

6. PoultryGirly

PoultryGirly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2012
    Some chickens go through a long molt. They will more than likely lay in the spring. I would just wait it out and try to be patient. Good luck! =)

7. cary 1973

cary 1973 Chillin' With My Peeps

from what i have been told under age 1 there still working there egg issues out but by age 1 they will be pros at it I personly would give them more time but everyone is diffrent but I would say if there all the same age and doing it then its not a defective chicken there is more going on.

8. TurtlePowerTrav

TurtlePowerTrav T.K.'s Farm

Jul 29, 2012
    Oregon City, OR
    My Coop
    They could also have a hidden nest if they free range.

9. unix_micki

Sep 12, 2011
    I thought about a hidden nest....we are in the process of building a new coop so they will only free range in the afternoon.

10. unix_micki

Sep 12, 2011
    I just wish I knew what was going on,,,,they are so nice/loving and beautiful.....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by