Don't know where to put this: Keeping A Duck Pen Clean?!

Raking it may help....so can hosing it down if you have pea gravel as the base. What do you have as a base? If you just have dirt I'd recommend putting down at least a layer of coarse sand....pea gravel or small river rock is even better. Ducks are the messiest creatures so you're never going to get rid of all the mess!!

sad.png
Yes, dirt and grass right now...

Ick.

I know people do the whole deep straw thing with chickens, but I've sorta tried it with ducks and there is NO WAY that would be OK with me. It starts to stink pretty bad of amonia if you leave it for more than a week, even with raking and adding everyday.

I use straw - add a little bit when it needs it during the week, and completely remove and replace all bedding every weekend. And they only spend the night in the pen, which is about 6X14, because they free range all day long. There are 4 geese and 5 ducks in there - all about 6 weeks old.

My other pens only have 3 each in them, while the brooder has 11 ducklings right now. What that thing will smell like in a week scares me!
tongue.png

If you can, try keeping water either outside the pen or confined in only one area. The water is the worst, though those giant goose poops are a close second.

Good luck!

When my ducks were younger and in a smaller yard, it was very nasty. The yard had a slope to it so we kept the water on the low end but it still didn't stop them from soaking everything. There was also alot of shade so it never dried. After trimming trees, it got better.

We would hose the ground off to but that just made for a muddy mess but they sure loved it.
Now that they are in my side yard, they're pretty clean. No smell either. Even under my deck is clean and I haven't done anything under there since before winter.

Back
Top Bottom