Don't look if you're squeamish - Bizarre egg with...chick formation??

Their gram

In the Brooder
May 18, 2017
I have had hens for years, but have never seen anything like this egg with what appears to be a partial chick formation extending from the shell. It is actually part of the shell. When I cracked it open, there was nothing inside but a regular yolk and white. Nothing extending inwardly from the shell at the point where the head and neck are protruding on the outside.
IMG_20170518_115754.jpg
IMG_20170518_115449.jpg
IMG_20170518_115608.jpg

Is this from an older hen? I'm guessing a laying hiccup unless it's happened before. Looks like a membrane got stuck on the shell.

That looks like just a mistake in the egg laying process, common in many hens. The protrusion you see is egg membrane. If this happens more or you see other weird eggs, your hen might have problems with internal laying, but I wouldn't worry if this is the only one she lays. Here is a good article about the egg laying process: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/common-egg-quality-problems.65923/

Welcome to BYC! can you cut it in half and take a picture?

Cut the blob in half? (shiver) Sadly I tossed it in the septic field and I'm sure fire ants have consumed it, but I did break the shell open before doing that, expecting body parts.
IMG_20170518_120018.jpg
..there is nothing inside but a regular yolk and white - well, a blood spot...

Cut the blob in half? (shiver) Sadly I tossed it in the septic field and I'm sure fire ants have consumed it, but I did break the shell open before doing that, expecting body parts.View attachment 551393 ..there is nothing inside but a regular yolk and white - well, a blood spot...
Very cool! That's the first egg I've seen that looks like that. Seen shell-less eggs, just membrane, but never a shelled egg inside a membrane.

Yes, it is membrane that is forming outside the shell from the looks of it. Hopefully it's a one time thing and your hen will be just fine.

I swear there is a primitive eye formation and a line where the mouth would open, though.

Back
Top Bottom