Don't make this mistake

dogcop

Chirping
May 13, 2014
I had a small flock of ladies "chickens " and a Turkey named Eleanor I also have a Anatolian Shepherd whom would never hurt his girls.
He jumps my perimeter fence so he has to stay inside when I'm gone. My fences are strong and I thought that they would protect my girls...I WAS WRONG!!!
JUNE 7th 2019 I left my farm to run errands. When I returned Storm was having a fit to go out, not knowing what was up I grabbed my 9mm as I headed out back
Storm bet me to the first dead lady then he ran from dead bird to dead bird I was in tears Eleanor suddenly flew at me from some BlackBerry bushes and right behind her was my neighbors PittBull 1 shot 1 kill I dropped that monster yes I killed it and since that I have shot every dog my neighbors dogs running my cats digging trying to get into my backyard.
Now my mistake my birds were use to dogs because they hung out with my Anatolian and my house dogs. My dog's were raised around everything chickens turkeys ducks horses pigs cattle I made my girls sitting ducks please excuse the sad pun they didn't know dog's were dangerous because they were safe with all of mine. I regret that I didn't realize it possible for a dog to come through my pasture through the barn and under the gate. Allowing the dog access to all of my girls whom were roaming around the backyard. I killed my girls by allowing them to be comfortable around dogs. DON'T MAKE THE SAME MISTAKE
LEARN FROM MY HEART BREAKING
MISTAKE. If this saves one bird then my girls did not die in vain. Yes I had police reports done all dead dogs were on my property and trying to get to my livestock
My neighbor was warned by animal control and the sheriff's department I don't warn anymore I just dump their dogs on their porch

I would first like to :welcome :frow even though you have been a member for a few years with your first post. I would have done the exact same thing. I don't care if the predator is wildlife or a dog. If it kills or attempts to kill my birds I will eliminate it. I have eliminated some predators in the past when they have killed my birds. I do have electric wires around my coops and nice large pens, concrete under the gates and good heavy duty netting covering the nice large pens. I have several game cameras around on my property and have seen plenty of predators roaming here especially at night with a once in a great while daytime sighting. As long as they leave my birds alone, I'm good and don't bother them. I have lost my share of birds over the years. My land is mostly open pasture so there is no place for the birds to go. Now when I do let them out it isn't long before they are all back in their nice safe pens. When a predator touches the electric wires they don't try again. I think the adult predators actually teach their young that a chicken isn't worth getting zapped for. Good luck...

Sorry for what you went through, but you didn't make a mistake by training your dogs properly. Would you rather have your own dog harass or kill your gals? Of course not. Don't beat yourself up for doing things right. Your neighbors are at fault, not you.. You now know how to stop outside dogs from getting in, and if one does, you definitely know how to handle it.

Fortunately, I've yet to have dog issues. But, like you, I wouldn't hesitate to give them their dog back feet first.

I am so sorry for your loss. I agree, you trained your dog well. You can't help stupid other people. I have always kept my dogs on their property and not allowed them to roam. People think because you live in the country you can just let your dogs run wild. That is not the case. They may not come home.

Sorry for your loss
I believe that even if your chickens were not accustomed to dogs at all, the outcome would have been the same.
Honestly everything eats chicken, and chickens have no defences against a SERIOUS preditor except flee and hide. Your guardian dog or you are not to blame.
I applaud you for taking care of the trespassing dogs in a permanent manner. It's not an easy thing.
If your guardian dog is not always avaliable to access the flock and do his job, than you must have a back up plan to keep the flock in a secure and protected way.
My free range flock has three guardian dogs during the day and a secure and locked down coop at night.
Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom