Don't need to know this, just curious

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ollievee, Sep 14, 2012.

1. ollievee

ollievee Out Of The Brooder

Jul 29, 2012
    Nebraska
    I was looking at a Foxfire book and it told of how people used to take their ducks and pluck a good number of their feathers which they then used for bedding and such. They said it didn't hurt the duck and maybe did it close to molting time. Does anyone do this any more for any reason? As stated in the title, just curious . . .

2. Tivona

Tivona Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Oregon
    I have plucked the loose down feathers from my ducks and geese. I only do it when they are starting to naturally shed and only take the down feathers that just come out running my fingers through without pulling. Doesn't bother the ducks at all as far as I can tell other then the fact that I am holding them for a few minutes preventing them from going having other fun. I am hoping to eventually get enough for a pillow but as I am unwilling to hurt or traumatize it is taking quite awhile over multiple molts. Here is a link on info for how to do it if your interested. Just a note about my birds, I pet my geese everyday so they are used to being touched. The ducks are less hands on but some of them are fine with being touched for short periods so sometimes I can get some of their down but I let them decide if its okay.

3. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    I think it was done to make things with down, like pillows, mattresses, winter clothing etc. I read something on this (somewhere) and if I remember it was down under the wings that were plucked and not year round. Sorry don't remember exactly.

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
  5. aaabirdman

aaabirdman Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2012
    NY
    That would sound fun, making a pillow out of your own pet duck feathers

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by