Don't pick up the hens or they won't lay?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Namaste Mama, Oct 22, 2008.

1. Namaste Mama

Namaste Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2008
    AZ
    So I still have 2 chickens that aren't laying(adopted them 5 weeks ago, a chochin and polish), and after telling to my dad who used to raise golden pheasents and chickens, he said never ever handle the chickens, let the kids play with them or chase them or they won't lay. Is this true? Or do these breeds just like to stop laying? No one is molting, its warm during the day high 80's-90's lots of food, black oil sunflower seeds, some vegi treats and free range all day. :|

2. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

My kids pet and play with our chickens all the time and also run after them time to time. I have not had any problem with egg production at all.

3. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    I seriously doubt it...I hold and play with my girls every day and they lay just fine. Sounds like an old wives' tale to me. [​IMG]

4. chicknmania

chicknmania Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    The reasoning is because it stresses them out. Some more than others, depending on the breed. Picking them up once in a while shouldn't cause them to quit laying altogether though. If they're not being chased or harassed by anything, they should still lay. I'd just give them some more time. Or they may be laying somewhere you can't find. Also, laying is more dependent on the amount of light, rather than the temperature, although both are factors. So if the days are getting a lot shorter where you are, that could be a reason, too.

5. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Sorry, no truth to the statement about handling chickens.

6. DeeTee

DeeTee Out Of The Brooder

Oct 1, 2008
    Desbarats, Ontario
    I agree with all the replies above. I hold and pet the chooks almost daily and they are laying like crazy!

7. dancingbear

dancingbear Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2008
    South Central KY
    Quote:I wouldn't let the kids chase them, or be rough at all, but other than that, no it's not true.

How old are these chickens? Are they old enough to lay? Are they so old they may have stopped?

What breed are they? Are they one of the oddball seasonal layers?

Have you checked for external parasites? Sometimes if they get a bad case of mites or bird lice, they'll stop laying.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2008
  8. Namaste Mama

Namaste Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2008
    AZ
    I was told they are a year old, which is questionable. I have a cochin and a polish, the cochin has a green band with numbers around her leg is that a way to track her? I'm not sure how to check for lice etc, the Cochin dose have white dandruff like flakes on her, could this be it?

9. TheOLDNewChick

TheOLDNewChick I'm an original

Jun 12, 2007
    Tioga, Louisiana
    Nah. I hold my girls all the time, as do I think 110% of everyone else on here. [​IMG]

10. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

I guess it depends on whether they are used to being handled. Mine are and are on my lap, shoulders, back. I pick them up gently when necessary and I get an average of 11 eggs from 12 birds daily.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by