Dont say you want the eggs for your incubator? Price changes !

Strader

Songster
8 Years
Apr 7, 2011
Yakima
When buying local eggs or dialing a number for someone locally who sells eggs Do NOT say you want them for your incubator. You'll get the $1.00 per egg price back. I can buy farm fresh eggs in a couple places for $3,00 a dozen the day they are layed, but mention to someone selling eggs that you want to incubate them and they jack the price on you. Not Nice !

See it's not just that simple. I sell fertile eggs and if I get calls asking for fertile eggs, I have to spend more time sorting/candling the right size and shape egg, no eggs that might be porous etc.. They also have to be stored a certain way, kept in a warm place with the small side down. Now if I was to sell just a dozen to a customer for eating, most likely I will have to pull them out the refrigerator and they will no longer be fertile or usable for incubating. I see how they could be priced higher, but $1.00 per egg is high for a back yard mix. But if the are purebred, you are getting a great deal! Just a few of my thoughts, Good luck! :)

I would just buy a few extra eggs and hope they are fresh and unwashed. I would hope they wouldn't be old either. I have found that as soon as you start looking for eggs to hatch people just shut down even if all you ask for is clean unwashed eggs. If the eggs are just from barnyard chickens there is no since in paying big bucks for eggs.

"Hatching" eggs sell for more because you are buying a potential bird, eggs sold for eating are sold for less because they are consumables intended for "one time use" so to speak. The seller is in no way trying to rip anyone off or "jacking up the price" for no reason.

Funny, not too long ago I was reading a thread where a seller was posting about just this sort of concern (people purchasing eggs "for eating" as a backdoor way to get cheap hatching eggs).

Funny, not too long ago I was reading a thread where a seller was posting about just this sort of concern (people purchasing eggs "for eating" as a backdoor way to get cheap hatching eggs).

Well those people are taking a risk of getting eggs that will not hatch. Expectually if they were refrigerated or washed, your getting eggs that are not good for incubating. It's just another way to get something for nothing.

Last edited:
I don't over charge for my eggs, I don't guarantee fertility and they sell as backyard mixes. If they are purebred I would definitely charge more.

Last edited:
fertility might not be very good on eggs to be eaten. i keep a hen/roo ratio of 15:1 on flocks i want to hatch. a ratio 30 to 50:1 on flocks for egg consumption. so many things can go wrong on the 3 weeks of incubation, why take the risk to save some money?

I will be buying hens Friday evening. Their eggs will be saved for incubation while in isolation. I discussed rooster ratio with the seller after prices were discussed. He sells hatching eggs for roughly $1 each + shipping. But I am buying birds for less. Forgive the language but killing 2 birds with 1 stone. Adding some layers to my flock AND getting fertile pure bred hatching eggs all in 1 bundle. Would be happy with a dozen, given that the shock of move might upset their laying. But could possibly end up with almost 10 dozen. Time will tell. After 2 weeks I won't save eggs probably since fertility might not be as good.

Back
Top Bottom