Don't think our chicks have had any water yet, will mum show them how?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kpborkowski, Oct 6, 2008.

1. kpborkowski

kpborkowski Out Of The Brooder

Jun 12, 2008
    Chelsea (Vic), Australia
    Our chicks hatched on the 5th October and are being looked after by there adopted mummy. I have provided in the pen fresh chick crumble and water. I have seem them all trying the food but haven't yet seen anyone have a drink.

Will the mum show them what to do?

Sorry if this seems a silly question but I don't want anyone to dehydrate. Should I perhaps mix the chick crumble with water?[​IMG]

2. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Not to worry, mom knows what she is doing. Silly question though. You do have a chick waterer right? If not the little guys could fall in and drown. They really don't need anything until the 3rd day at the latest so they should be fine.. [​IMG]

3. kpborkowski

Jun 12, 2008
    Chelsea (Vic), Australia
    Yeah sorry about the silly question. Although I did have to physically move the food towards mum for her to eat some as she is quite content in one spot keeping babies warm and doesn't seem to be moving far even to poo.

We do have a proper chook water container in there as I had heard that the babies can drown.

Thanks for putting up with people like me and there silly qestions.[​IMG]

4. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Sorry, thought you might take that the wrong way [​IMG] The silly question was mine not yours! Sorry for the mix up!!

5. kpborkowski

Jun 12, 2008
    Chelsea (Vic), Australia
    No worries Shelleyd I didn't take it the wrong way at all. Thanks again for your advice, I am finding this website and all its members invaluable:)

6. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by