Dont trash that LG yet!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Poulets De Cajun, Mar 16, 2009.

1. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

I just had a SWIFT idea! I can take it apart and use the heating element in a self built cabinet hatcher! I have two server cooling fans too! WOOOWHOOO! [​IMG]

2. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

When you finish it I would LOVE to see some pictures.

3. jvls1942

jvls1942 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    Quote:been there, done that.. ended up with a 126 egg bator.. want to see photos as you go and when you are done..[​IMG]

4. Poulets De Cajun

Did you use 3/4 ply or something else? I have a bunch of 3/4 MDF but I'm wondering if the humidity would deteriorate it too much? Course I could line it with some showerboard or something... that way I could just wipe it out.

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

My own Dh wants to build a nice, furniture quality incubator if we dismantle one of ours, so sure, scavenge those parts!

6. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Slap on a good dozen layers of polyurethane on the box and it'll be good to go at 100% humidity. I have a pint coated over about 10sq feet of surface and it's as shiny as can be an holds water like a plastic cup. All pieces were painted twice before assembled, and painted about 6 times over after assembled. LOL Went over board at 15 when I had too much time on my hands.

7. Poulets De Cajun

Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

We took a handmade solid wood dresser and coated it with a ton of coats of Helmsman Urethane and it's great in the bathroom with a sink dropped in it. I'd use that for sure on a bator. It's marine type polyeurethane, like on bar counters.

9. Poulets De Cajun

My only other question, since I have the basic parts and design already figured up, is how reliable is a water heater thermostat? And what are my other options?

10. jvls1942

jvls1942 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    Quote:use the thermostat from the LG..
    I used the solid state one from LG

I built mine like a cabinet out of solid maple boards.. I am going to make a new door though..out of plexiglass.. I am just too nosey to not look inside..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by