dont understand

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by maxxsmommy, Oct 9, 2011.

1. maxxsmommy

maxxsmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2011
    Minnesota
    My production red hen laid her first egg 2 days ago, but she has not laid one yesterday or today so far... should i be worried? she acts fine, poop is normal nothing seems wrong with her.

2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Nope, don't be worried. She's a new layer, and getting into the swing of things. I've had to wait up to 2 weeks for a specific hen to lay her second egg. Just give it time. Good luck!

3. maxxsmommy

maxxsmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2011
    Minnesota
    still no egg tonight.. I looked up at her on her roost and told her she needs to lay one tonight so mama can have breakfast with a REAL egg. She just looked down and me and sqwaked lol [​IMG]

4. dainerra

dainerra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    do you free range? I've found that new layers are also more likely to lay outside the nest box. When mine first begin laying, I keep them confined in the run until afternoon - most have finished their business by then.
    But, definitely can take a while before they start laying consistently.

5. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    new layers will not generally lay every day. It might be once a week at first. I would not be too worried. Mine have always started one every other day, but it all varies. Congrats on getting the first egg!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by