don't we all love that humidity on lockdown!...eggs not making it to lockdown...what could be proble

Cant seem to get an egg to hatch......
Slim chance the chick makes it to lockdown....the rest are gone by day 14 or 18.....
Any idea whats goin on??????????????

omg, i can't believe you/re having the same problem with the same equip as what i just got...I'm having a heck of a time getting my humidity up above 40...can't find a hygrometer even at the feed store where i bought the bater! So the sponge idea is a god-send. It's goin' in tomarrow. I've never tried the dry method but with our reptile experience, the humidity factor was the primary concern. The eggs just shrivel up all wrinkly & wierd. My main concern with the air being so dry up here in virginia is getting even a little saucer of water in the bater - there just isn't much room; hopefully everything will be stabilized by the time the eggs come ( probably tomarrow or the next day)....keep in touch & good luck! by the way....what's "lockdown"?

YAY!!!....just had the ONE AND ONLY baby hatch!....and what a chirping storm it is brewing!!......SUCCESS!!

went dry incubation AND primarily dry hatch.....SUCCESS!.....so got 7 more eggs due for lockdown on the 7th.....will see how they are 'growin' shortly!

Congrats on the chickie!!!!!!....it's going to be interesting with you all doin' the dry hatch & i've got the bator going on humidity 55% from about day 2 or 3...finally got some florists foam (oasis) & lined the channels of the bater with it...right away the humidity went up by 15-20% to 50-55 & has stayed there with no prob. the hygromter i ended up with was an indoor/outdoor thingy with a probe. well, instead of putting the probe out the window to tell me the outside humidity, it all just went in the bater. It confirms the temp digitally & the humidity as well so we shall see....day 18 is the 7th so by wednesday or thursday I should have something....

Was wondering, are you doing guineas? We love them! Have a normal and a lavender but want more. They're so funny & keep all our chickens safe and sound (no pun intended)...

Take care & happy hatching

My incubator's humdity goes up too high with just one little sponge in it. So i usually just add a little water to the bottoms. For the last three days when i need it really high, I add 2 sponges and that helps. I don't candle my eggs because i can transfer bacteria, so i don't do it by the size of the air sac. I do have problems with condensation a few times, but it rarely happens.

got 5 chickens trying to sell.....

and got first set of 11 guinea eggs.....goin in the incubator tonight!!!!

found that the best way for my hatching is to ignore humidity completely....if they have been turnin automatically then they should hatch in that position....versus laying down

got 6 more egg in the hatcher.....any day for chicks...

and 6 more eggs in the bator.....all chicks

gonna set the 11 guineas tonight....YAY!!!

I took out all the sponges....and do not fuss with water or humidity any more!!!....SOOO MUCH better hatch rate!!!

Back
Top Bottom