"Doomed" is Going to Need A New Name :) PIC Heavy!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Chickie Mamma, Sep 24, 2010.

1. Chickie Mamma

Chickie Mamma Farmer at Heart

Apr 20, 2008
    Sherman, CT
    Against all odds... "Doomed" has hatched. This baby had such a damaged air cell, I did not think it was going to survive to lockdown. Doomed was in the air cell for days (air cell was most of the egg). He hatched on his own (although I was ready to help). So out of the 12 eggs 2 hatched. Both eggs were marked "Partridge" but the other baby is clearly not Partridge. Maybe Buff or white?? I need some suggestions on a new name for "Doomed" now that he is here [​IMG] Here are some pics of the new additions [​IMG]

Meet "Doomed"..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is the other baby.. white? buff?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Buddies [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This was the egg "Doomed" hatched from, notice the air cell on both sides.
    Eggs with Damaged air cells can still hatch!

[​IMG]

2. Gerbil

Gerbil Oh, Crazy!

Jun 24, 2010
    Hope? [​IMG]

3. SillyChicken

SillyChicken Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2010
    miracle!

4. amyquilt

amyquilt Serama Mama

May 17, 2008
    Amarillo, TX
    I like Hope :)

5. xyresicchick

xyresicchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2010
    Providence, RI
    yeah... hope is sooooo cliche.... but in this case... i think i agree with that one for a name [​IMG]

6. undergroundchickens

undergroundchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    Utah
    I have one with a very messed up air cell that looks like yours only larger. The chick inside was still moving on lock down. Your "doomed" chick gives me hope it will hatch now.

7. Chickie Mamma

Chickie Mamma Farmer at Heart

Apr 20, 2008
    Sherman, CT
    Quote:I like Hope too.. I also like Miracle. I'll let my 5 year old decide between the 2. Yes, once the air cell stabilized, it took up more than half the egg. It almost looked like a heart when I would candle it. But he moved til lockdown and I let mother nature take its course. I heard peeping this morning and there were the 2. I am actually hoping he will be a "he" as I do have a female Partridge that I would like to breed. Thanks for the replys! [​IMG]

8. acid_chipmunk

acid_chipmunk Polish Silkies d'Uccles O my!

Mar 29, 2010
    Look at the vault! WOW! Very cute and so glad to hear that they did hatch for you. [​IMG]

As for the second one, it looks like it is white. Buff would be much darker.

9. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

Phoenix, magical bird rising from the Doomed egg (ok - rising from the fire, but it was an egg in this story [​IMG] )

10. Redcatcher

Redcatcher Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2010
    At My Desk!
    What a HUGE vaulted skull. Sometimes eggs with messy air cells result in deformed chicks that survive, so there are two reasons to be grateful here. Miracle was also the name of the guinea X chicken hybrid that captured the hearts of many people on this board. For that reason I would probably choose another name though I am sure "original" Miracle's owner would not be offended.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by