Doomsday Preppers.

I'm not a "prepper", but like the independence of providing for myself, instead of being 100% dependent on outside sources. I originally started growing and preserving much of my own food for the superior quality it provided, but have since fallen in love with the feeling of self-reliance it gives me. It's very satisfying. In the meantime, should there ever be a need, either from financial or political problems, I'll be ok.

A classic novel, 'Death of Grass' by John Christopher, was republished a few years ago. It considers what would happen if a virus spread across the world killing all forms of grass, including food types and grazing grass. The focus is on the experiences of a group who fled London just before the government bombed it to reduce the population size. They headed north to Yorkshire, intent on reaching a relative's farm that was safe from attack by scavengers.

Preppers who are concerned about the possible actions of a desperate population might leran some useful tips from reading the novel.

he dogs wouldn't be much help but they could alert us to something coming up the hill. The cats would come because we just could not leave them.
Cats are for mice. Dogs are needed for rats, hunting, livestock protection an heat. The term 3 dog night is historical... It has to do with heating your bed with dogs an saving the wood for the fire by not heating the whole house at night..

-----------------

An the big draw to bunker houses is the stable temps along with tornado protection. I don't worry about nukes. Nothing worth nuking on my mountain or in range to the west of us. The nucular power plant in Chattanooga maybe but it is about 50 miles down wind to the east of us.

Cats are for mice. Dogs are needed for rats, hunting, livestock protection an heat. The term 3 dog night is historical... It has to do with heating your bed with dogs an saving the wood for the fire by not heating the whole house at night..

-----------------

An the big draw to bunker houses is the stable temps along with tornado protection. I don't worry about nukes. Nothing worth nuking on my mountain or in range to the west of us. The nucular power plant in Chattanooga maybe but it is about 50 miles down wind to the east of us.

Well then we should be toasty warm because we'll have 6, maybe 7 dogs in our little group. My aunt has 10 cats already and my 9 love getting moles and birds. Although I do have one cat that that has let a mouse walk right over her and eat her food...

The best thing any 'doomsday prepper' or anyone that has a brain still in their head is be a backyard farmer.There are books out there on how to feed your family on 1/4 acre of land or less.we have one of those and follow it as far as we can for now.one nuke strike not possible? if thats what youre thinking then ok.one nuke strike will take out any orbiting satalite and communication above it. one nuke strike can make a chemical cloud that can breeze thruought the world.how you gonna avoid the wind?and so their might be"scrubbing stations" but where is the nearest one from you or us?are you going to go away from your food,to a scrubbing station then try to come back into contaminated areas?

the best thing is to go off grid as soon as possible.back to natural living,basic living.what happends if a house or a building,or a mack truck or tractor lands on your only opening to the outside world while youre in your tornado/doomsday bunker? you are doomed.

Im just saying this because noone brings up a remedy for these things.they say"this will work or that will work",but a plan needs real thinking to it.you need to disect it and think out all the conditions and possibilities before considering going mole.

now I can understand some of those people having land in the middle of nowhere.I wish I had that,or on top of some mountain with water source.but without water and good air you might as well be dead.you cannot make good air out of contaminated water.

being in a big metropolis is the last place you would want to be.Im sure we all can agree on this.thats why I dont live in big cities.civil unrest and marshall law shall rule and food will be scarce there.

out in the country,we country folks can survive like out ancestors before us.
yesss.gif

-----------------

I lived for five years without heat and air in a run down single wide. The three dog night is very true. I spent many nights with my animals piled in bed with me, dogs and cats.

I laughed pretty hard at that one episode where they were doing these elaborate systems in the suburbs with all the neighbors where they were putting boards in the windows and they could have all the windows boarded up in thirty minutes... and the houses had very large decorative shutters on the windows.

You know it would be quicker and easier to just make the shutters functional, then in less than five minutes your windows are secure, no pulling out boards from the garage and nailing them to your window frame.

Oh and does anyone know if that lady who was rubbing her eggs in oil to preserve them is on to something?

Back
Top Bottom