Doomsday Preppers.

VannahRAe

Songster
11 Years
Mar 10, 2012
Hohenwald, TN
So sitting here watching this show and they are raising their chickens for eggs and meat as a backup plan incase of disaster. I think it's a great idea but I just couldn't do that to my chickens as I see them as pets not food. lol. Has anyone else ever seen this show? I'm addicted to it! Is anyone on BYC a prepper?! I would love to hear your stories.

We actually have a new member that considers themselves a "Semi Prepper". I must admit I've seen the show a few times.

I've seen the show. I think they go a little over. I keep enough stuff for a week or so.

pop.gif

Haven't gotten to this point yet, but our aim is to have six months of food and water, along with a well and rain barrels. We already have a semi-large garden, several fruit trees, egg-laying chickens, and a recently-planted grapevine. We're still sorting out what veggies to focus on in the garden.

In a neighborhood. Oh, yes.
big_smile.png
My dad's the food and water guy, I'm the security guy, since, apparently, I'm the only one in my family who does more than talk about stocking up on ammo.

There are some useful tips from time to time but most of the featured individuals are a joke even to their families and friends. Notice too how the programme producers quietly laugh at them and knock the whole project down at the end of the show by stating that the dreaded even is very unlikely to happen.

It would be better to make a programme or two about sensible self-sufficiency ideas. The featuring of people who obviously have some minor psychological disorder devalues what might otherwise be interesting material.

I thought it would be interesting if they came back to some of the people that lived in areas hit by Sandy and showed how well or poorly they did. I think it would be a great way to see how well all of thier preparation worked out. I realize it's not as bad as the "doomsday" scenarios that drive most of the people on there, but the devestation was still pretty bad.

I thought it would be interesting if they came back to some of the people that lived in areas hit by Sandy and showed how well or poorly they did. I think it would be a great way to see how well all of thier preparation worked out. I realize it's not as bad as the "doomsday" scenarios that drive most of the people on there, but the devestation was still pretty bad.

Nat. Geo. Channel has just announced that it will be doing something very much like that.

The 'doomsday scenarios' that motivate most of the sad Preppers are such that most of us probably wouldn't want to survive.

Cool, I'll have to keep an eye out for it.

It's funny, my wife wanted chickens for that very reason (self-sufficiency), so we got some. Now I'm the one addicted to them (and constantly wanting to get more).

Back
Top Bottom