door flaps

Chicken Outlaw

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 22, 2011
Cushing, Okla.
Welp, I did what someone here said & went to Wal-mart & got the cheap clear car mat ($1something). I cut it in strips, overlapped them a little & put them over the pop door. I hooked one up for a few days then dropped it down at night & eventually, over a matter of days, they all came out through the flaps . I would have to go out in the morning & lift it up for the slower chicks for a few days.
Anyway, it was windy today & the flap got blew down & I was watching tv & lost track of time. It was full dark before I noticed so I grabbed the flashlight & went to see who I needed to let in or more like put in since it was dark.
Well, they were all inside which means they went through the lowered flaps.
Awesome .... hope they keep it up.

I have the clear, plastic Wal-Mart car mat flaps on my coop doors to keep out the flies in summer and it cuts down on cold drafts in winter.

I cut them to fit the inside dimensions of the pop hole so they swing both ways freely. Otherwise the chickens would have trouble pushing through if they were larger than the doorway and only pushed open from one direction. I cut them a few inches longer on top so they can be stapled to the inside wall.

It's never been any problem getting new chickens used to going through the flaps. All were able to master the flaps in no time.

Great idea.
big_smile.png

I have the clear, plastic Wal-Mart car mat flaps on my coop doors to keep out the flies in summer and it cuts down on cold drafts in winter.

I cut them to fit the inside dimensions of the pop hole so they swing both ways freely. Otherwise the chickens would have trouble pushing through if they were larger than the doorway and only pushed open from one direction. I cut them a few inches longer on top so they can be stapled to the inside wall.

It's never been any problem getting new chickens used to going through the flaps. All were able to master the flaps in no time.
Any chance you could post a picture of this?

Back
Top Bottom