Door Options

llombardo

Crowing
Mar 11, 2018
Illinois
i put up a flap door--plastic cut into strips for the entrance. Well at least one of the chickens is pecking and shredding it. I just lost a duck and a blockage from the plastic was high on the list as to the why.

Can I use a fabric and make the door or will this dam chicken eat that too? Will that work in the winter or extreme cold? I was thinking maybe cutting up a thin fleece blanket. An auto door is not in the cards right now. I thought about a dog door but I don't have the funds or time at this point to get it.

The door in question is the bottom door in the picture(that is open) so they have access in and out on cold days

image.jpg

Can I use a fabric and make the door or will this dam chicken eat that too?
I use old towels stapled to my lay boxes to make "doors". I haven't had any issues with anyone eating them yet. I would possibly consider a way to weigh down the bottoms or make them slightly heavier so they come back to the closed position during the wind and stuff.

Of course I wouldn't want to make it darker inside. I wonder about a clear type thicker shower curtain? Not sure what kind of plastic you were using... I tell you, duck can get in some trouble. We had one gal that picked up every piece of trash she could find. Sorry for your loss.

Hope winter goes smooth for you! :fl

Hmm--I might check out the shower curtain thing.

I would get magnets but I have no doubt they would eat those for sure

You must need heavier plastic?
Pet strip doors

Exactly. I ended up going to Menards and buying a few feet of clear vinyl runner. I hate going to that store on a Saturday. They never have enough people. After I waited for 15 minutes, I grabbed the scissors and the yard stick, cut my own and brought the tag up with me. Told the cashier, you really need more people on Saturdays, I have two feet of this. He didn't even try arguing with me...lol

I spent a whole $5.00--win for me.

Then I came home and worked in what seemed like a mini tornado, followed by a mini snow storm and temps dropping 20 degrees. It seems that this year is going to be a nasty winter--well of course it is, I got chickens.

Anyways here is what it looks like and I doubt she will eat it and it doesn't move

image.jpg
image.jpg

If they won't go thru that, you may have to tie the middle parts up until they get used to it. Usually you install two strips at a time from the outside edges, adding a couple every few days.

If they won't go thru that, you may have to tie the middle parts up until they get used to it. Usually you install two strips at a time from the outside edges, adding a couple every few days.

2 of the girls go in and out without issue. The other 4 come out with some coaxing and a couple go in without issue. The boy? He will pace back and forth and crow until I help him out.

I'm going to work with them tomorrow. I got to work with them with the nipple waterer too.

I feel like I ran out of time.

You live in Illinois? Just leave it open. I leave my 2 chicken doors open all day thru out the winter no problem. Ventilation is good.

Back
Top Bottom