Door size?

fc

In the Brooder
9 Years
Sep 24, 2010
I cut my coop door about 14 inches high. I had it covered with chicken wire until the fencing was done. Now the chickens don't want to go outside! I tried luring them out with apples, which they love, but they only venture a foot or so out on the five foot long ramp, which, due to the coop being on piers is about 2 1/2 ft. off the ground.

There are Welsummers and Marans. The door is about shoulder height for the Marans. Should I make the door opening taller, or just let them stoop? Should I lock the birds outdoors for a while? The weather is 50 at night, and 70s during the day.
Thank you.

The door height should not be an issue. They may be leery of the ramp, although it's not the high off the ground. Unless they are younger birds most chickens can jump down that distance.

Perhaps try moving them outside to the run, then they will learn to walk up the ramp to the coop. I bet it won't be long and they will be using it regularly. Anything new seems to spook them for a day of so..they get over it pretty fast thankfully..

For what it's worth from a newbie, my chicken door is about the same height, and I just set them individually at the opening, and they jumped down to the grass. The seem to be able to get back in without a ramp, too, because one of them is inside laying an egg right now.
smile.png

When I first moved my chickens into the coop they would not leave the coop for a week. I just let them be and one morning they wandered out on there own. I don't think I would worry about it.

It's been almost two weeks and they just aren't leaving the coop.

Do you have horizontal thingies on your ramp so the chickens can easily walk down it without sliding? The door height should be ok... if they don't want to come outside, pick them up and bring them out to "show" them.

Yes, there are horizontal slats on the plywood ramp. There's a brave hen gingerly trying to get at the trail of raisins one of you recommended. I put a couple of them out, but they come right back in as soon as they figure out the ramp.

Pull them out into the run area, if they are scared they will go back into the coop. I just started mine in the run during the day and at night they automatically go inside now.

Back
Top Bottom