door warping

kdcrws

Songster
11 Years
Aug 18, 2008
L.C. FL
We live in N. FL and have horrible weather (thanks to Fay)! My husband and I spent the better part of a three day weekend building our chicken tractor, now after all this rain the egg door on the side has totally warped and has a gap big enough for my two chicks to get out...Do u all think that putting an extra latch on it will do the trick or should we replace the door all together?

DSC_0023.jpg

this was before the rain. The door fit tight now there is a gap as wide as my hand!

DSC_0019.jpg

Well, for certain you need a second latch - I strongly suspect that a predator could pry the corner open (at least enough to get a better grip and rip the whole thing apart) the way it is, with only the 1 latch in the extreme lower R.

As to whether that is 'enough' I would be concerned that the wood is not done warping. Is it primed/painted on all sides or just the outside? (do it all over). And as silkiechicken says, you may need to stabilize it with a frame of 1x3 or something like that.

Good luck,

Pat

Quote:
I only painted the outside..
he.gif
oops! Chicks are in Dog kennel on the screened in porch for now until we can do repairs this Sun. so they r ok.

Do you think it would help to shingle it too? & thanks for the advice!!!

Back
Top Bottom