1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

door warping

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by kdcrws, Aug 22, 2008.

1. kdcrws

kdcrws Songster

Aug 18, 2008
    L.C. FL
    We live in N. FL and have horrible weather (thanks to Fay)! My husband and I spent the better part of a three day weekend building our chicken tractor, now after all this rain the egg door on the side has totally warped and has a gap big enough for my two chicks to get out...Do u all think that putting an extra latch on it will do the trick or should we replace the door all together?

[​IMG]
    this was before the rain. The door fit tight now there is a gap as wide as my hand!

[​IMG]

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

What type of wood did you use? It might need a frame and cross bars to keep it flat.

3. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Well, for certain you need a second latch - I strongly suspect that a predator could pry the corner open (at least enough to get a better grip and rip the whole thing apart) the way it is, with only the 1 latch in the extreme lower R.

As to whether that is 'enough' I would be concerned that the wood is not done warping. Is it primed/painted on all sides or just the outside? (do it all over). And as silkiechicken says, you may need to stabilize it with a frame of 1x3 or something like that.

Good luck,

Pat

4. kdcrws

kdcrws Songster

Aug 18, 2008
    L.C. FL
    Quote:I only painted the outside..[​IMG] oops! Chicks are in Dog kennel on the screened in porch for now until we can do repairs this Sun. so they r ok.

Do you think it would help to shingle it too? & thanks for the advice!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: