Doramectin -- Dectomax

Garden Peas

Songster
5 Years
Sep 23, 2014
While I was cruising the vet supply store today, I came across "doramectin" -- brand name Dectomax -- which is another "mectin" wormer. Here's the one I found:

I apologize for the poor photo quality. Has anyone used this in birds? Any idea whether it is effective? How would I dose it?

Thanks!

Works the same as ivermec
wink.png

Hmmmmm, ivermectin doesn't work... it's s different "mectin" - does this one work?

Hmmmmm, ivermectin doesn't work... it's s different "mectin" - does this one work?
Don't know as i have never used it but i have seen it, perhaps if ivermec does not work this would be an alternative like some other meds have alternatives , ivermec works here so have no reason to try something else.
wink.png

I use ivermec for my dogs monthly also but it does not kill all the worms they might get like tape worms.

Probably has the same efficacy as ivermectin. Dose is the same as 1% ivermectin, it's 0.02ml per kg. If my math is correct, dose for a 6kg peacock is 0.12ml.

-Kathy

Well, I thought Ivermectin used to work, but stopped working due to some resistance issues? So would this not have those issues? Do we know if it would be effective or not?

If the active ingredient is the same, it would have the same resistance problems as ivermectin. I'm sure its in the same family, but don't know if the active ingredient is the same. Do you know that you have ivermectin resistant parasites?

It looks to me as though the active ingredient is different... doramectin not ivermectin... it's a different medication in the same family, I think.

No clue if the parasites here are resistant... we just keep getting told here on byc that ivermectin is useless?

It looks to me as though the active ingredient is different... doramectin not ivermectin... it's a different medication in the same family, I think.

No clue if the parasites here are resistant... we just keep getting told here on byc that ivermectin is useless?
Ivermectin when given at the recommended dose probably won't work, but I think you will find that many people are giving much more than 0.02ml per kg.
big_smile.png
Just the other day someone said that they give 2.5ml of the .05% to yearlings... For the average yearling that's 11x the recommended dose!

-Kathy

Last edited:
Ivermectin when given at the recommended dose probably won't work, but I think you will find that many people are giving much more than 0.02ml per kg. :D  Just the other day someone said that they give 2.5ml of the .05% to yearlings... For the average yearling that's 11x the recommended dose!

-Kathy

Well the key question is, why doesn't the ivermec work at the recommended dose?
If it is a question of resistance, then would the doramectin, being a different drug, work or work better?

Back
Top Bottom