Dorkings.

Dorkings have short legs. I am sure there is a breed standard set by the Europeans.
Below is a picture of what mine look like. I bought mine from a breeder who specializes in endangered breeds. She brought them in from Europe. North American hatchery stock is of poor quality.

26477_silver_dorking_hen.jpg

I'd love some Dorking when I set up my "farm." i notice that youa re in NH, that's not too far of a drive from me. I checked out your website. When I am able to, I would be interested in a few of your different breeds of birds (chicken, turkey). You wouldn't happen to have any of those geese still, would you?

Dorkings are indeed short legged. It was often seen as being essential in the maintainence of its meat qualities.

Hatchery stock is indeed tough. However, some aggressive breeding can really make a difference.

Quote:
The Dorking on this side of the pond is very much alive and kicking. The various color varieties may need some work but the basic Dorking breed type and character exist. And it exists on historically legitimate colors that do not even exist in Europe any longer. There are those who keep very good quality Dorkings in some of the more established colors who just do their thing and stay out of the limelight. Then we have Craig Russel and his big giant brain just packed with Dorking facts, experience and information LOL. No serious breeder of these fowl should avoid the opportunity to communicate with Craig. In a thread on white Dorkings the book by Jan Irving and SPPA were mentioned and I can only second what that poster said. Craig has been to Europe and while they do have some wonderful birds they do not exist in what might be called "safe" numbers or even all the old varieties. Craig had said years ago and YHF mentions it here that some industrious breeding will help tremendously.

Back
Top Bottom