Dosage for corid 9.6% oral solution

Dawg53, Sorry for repeating the question after you already answered it... for some reason the withdraw period did not come through my email but I can see it on the forum thread???
Thanks!

DAWG53,

I know this thread is very old but can you (or someone) confirm the dosage before I start the treatment for coccidiosis.

2 tsp. of Corid 9.6% liquid solution per gallon of water. Give this for 5 days as ONLY source of water for all chickens getting treated. After 5 days, then give probiotics and vitamins for 3 days; After that, then give Sulfadimethoxine powder at 1/2 tsp per gallon of water for another 3 days.

QUESTION: Is there a withdrawal period with Corid for laying hens? Also, I'm not sure what Sulfadimethoxine powder is. Is it readily available at feed stores or is there another common name for it?

Thank you in advance,
Jennie
That liquid Corid dose is the one recommended for *severe* outbreaks and what I always use.
big_smile.png
It medicates one gallon of water to the .024% level.

Can't comment on the Sulfadimethoxine powder, 'cause I know nothing about it.

-Kathy

This may be a dumb question, but there is no problem with administering Corid in metal is there? I have one puffed up lethargic 3 month old chick I want to treat everyone but wanted to make sure the metal waterer wouldn't react with the meds.

Thanks!

This may be a dumb question, but there is no problem with administering Corid in metal is there? I have one puffed up lethargic 3 month old chick I want to treat everyone but wanted to make sure the metal waterer wouldn't react with the meds.

Thanks!
I have read that plastic is best for medications but I always use galvanized for Corid, and have had Corid save my chickens quite well with it.

Hopefully others will chime in.

Last edited:
melodie_a,
Thanks for asking that 'dumb question'... I was wondering about the same thing.
I also have another question. When is the earliest age that they can come down with coccidiosis and would this be the same dose for any age?
Thanks again,
Jennie

I just found this and have a few questions if none can help, please! I had ordered some Corid when one of my hens was sick last month. The meds did not make it in time, my hen died. Now I have another hen that seems to be sick. I want to treat them all before I lose any more chickens. I have the Corid 9.6 and it says on the bottle it's for calves... can I still use that for my chickens? How do you do the math to get to 2tsp/gal of water? It states there are 96mg Amprolium per ml of Corid, and I need 10mg/2.2lb body weight. How is that calculated? I like to doublecheck the math before doing harm or overdosing, please! Help! Thank you!!

I just found this and have a few questions if none can help, please! I had ordered some Corid when one of my hens was sick last month. The meds did not make it in time, my hen died. Now I have another hen that seems to be sick. I want to treat them all before I lose any more chickens. I have the Corid 9.6 and it says on the bottle it's for calves... can I still use that for my chickens? How do you do the math to get to 2tsp/gal of water? It states there are 96mg Amprolium per ml of Corid, and I need 10mg/2.2lb body weight. How is that calculated? I like to doublecheck the math before doing harm or overdosing, please! Help! Thank you!!
http://www.fda.gov/AnimalVeterinary...lDrugProducts/FOIADrugSummaries/ucm148849.htm

It is approved for chickens but labeled for cattle.

I have never gone through the calculation but can attest to the fact that 9.5 ml per gallon of the 9.6% solution for 5 days in the drinking water saves lives when it is coccidiosis!

I forgot to ask if I have to avoid eating the eggs for a while, and how long if so? I don't know what "withdrawal period" means, if it has anything to do with the chickens' eggs? Thanks again! I'll start treatment right away in case this is what it is!

I forgot to ask if I have to avoid eating the eggs for a while, and how long if so? I don't know what "withdrawal period" means, if it has anything to do with the chickens' eggs? Thanks again! I'll start treatment right away in case this is what it is!
Older hens are usually immune to coccidiosis. If they come down with it, it can be from immunocompromise. One thing to consider is worms or mites/lice. Another thing to consider is another disease process.

Can you list the symptoms your hen that passed away had? And the symptoms your currently sick hen has?

It may be wise to take a poo sample to a vet to check for cocci/worms/bacteria. Best to call first to see how much it costs and if they will do it.

http://www.nutrenaworld.com/knowled...try-feed-frequently-asked-questions/index.jsp
at the bottom it mentions amprolium in the feed

Purina used to have a website stating the same thing but I can't find it now.

Withdrawal period is the period of time you wait after withdrawing the medication, before something. Egg withdrawal means how much time before you eat the eggs. Slaughter withdrawal is how much time before slaughtering.

http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/AnimalDrugsAtFDA/details.cfm?dn=033-165

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom