Dosage for corid 9.6% oral solution

Let me start by saying that Corid and Amrol the same, both both are 9.6% amprolium (96mg/ml). The Corid sold in the US is labeled for cattle, but it is used for poultry.

FDA recommendations:
http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/animaldrugsatfda/details.cfm?dn=013-149
"Chickens
Indications: For the treatment of coccidiosis.
Amount: Administer at the 0.012 percent level in drinking water as soon as coccidiosis is diagnosed and continue for 3 to 5 days (in severe outbreaks, give amprolium at the 0.024 percent level); continue with 0.006 percent amprolium-medicated water for an additional 1 to 2 weeks."

And this link has these instructions:
http://www.drugs.com/vet/amprol-9-6-solution-can.html
"Poultry - as Soon As Caecal Coccidiosis Is Diagnosed, Give 0.024% Amprolium In The Drinking Water For 5 To 7 Days. Continue The Treatment With 0.006% Amprolium Medicated Water For An Additional One To Two Weeks. No Other Source Of Drinking Water Should Be Available To The Birds During This Time."

http://www.asp-inc.com/products/documents/prodinfo/a/amp96.pdf
To prepare 50 gallons of medicated water:
Dosage Level Mixing Directions
0.024% Add one pint (16 fluid ounces) of 9.6% Solution AMPROL to about five gallons of water in a 50-gallon medication barrel. Stir, then add water to the 50 gallon mark. Stir thoroughly.
0.012% Follow same directions as above but use 1/2 pint (8 fluid ounces) of 9.6% Solution AMPROL.
0.006% Follow same directions as above but use 4 fluid ounces of 9.6% Solution AMPROL.

To make 50 gallons at the 0.024% you need 16 ounces. 16 ounces = 473.176ml
473.176 ÷ 50 gallons = 9.46352ml per gallon.

Hope that helps!

-Kathy

So what is the dosage for prevention? I bought organic feed for my chicks and it doesn't come medicated. I bought a bottle of liquid corid 9.6% just in case they get sick, but am now thinking I should put some in their water before sickness occurs.? I have 25- 2 week old chicks and was planning on giving them a piece of dirt/sod to munch on from my yard (apparently that's were cocci lives?). I've been letting it (the sod/dirt), dry out for a few days because I live in a very cold and wet place and everything is covered in snow/ice or 2 inches of water. Thank you for any and all help.

Last edited:
My chicken is just sitting around tail feathers down. Will not move. I though maybe she had a broken foot since it is turned under when I pick her up. As she sits she has clear runny water with yellow stuff running out of her. What is wrong with her?

Thank you so much Kathy
2764.png
2764.png

Learning quite a bit from this post; and it verified a few additional questions I had! I just lost 2 chicks (1 was 6 weeks and the other 7 weeks). I'm pretty sure it was coccidiosis based on their age and symptoms. I purchased Amprolium 9.6 solution yesterday and administered it via their water to the remainder of the chicks and one hen in the pen. Keeping my fingers crossed I do not lose any others. I plan on administering it for 5 days. Is there any other follow-up recommended? Thank you for all the inputs so far!

Your corid dosage and treatment times are correct. It's not necessary to treat them with sulfadimethoxine if the corid successfully treats your birds. You should see improvement within 2-3 days with the corid (make a fresh batch daily.)  No withdrawal period after using corid.
FYI: The sulfadimethoxine dosage and times are also correct. Albon is another name for sulfadimethoxine. There's a 5 day withdrawal period after using it.
[/quote dawg53]

Thank you for such info. You're always my go-to guy if I don't know what I'm doing. All of the advice you've ever given has never steered me wrong. I got 8 chicks this July and all but 2 died of coccidiosis. One never showed signs, one was on deaths door. It happens so fast! Saturday they fluff, Sunday they have bloody poop and die. I treated with Corid for 6 days beginning last Sunday, the day I found them dead. I'd read somewhere that I should treat 5-7 days with Corid, rest 5 days them treat 3 more days with Corid. You don't say that so now that my two remaining girls appear healthy in every way, should I not treat any further? I don't want to over medicate and certainly don't want to under medicate. How about maintenance? I appreciate you and your knowlege. Thanks, Amanda

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom