dosage for dimetridazole?

same. Every day, same thing. Slight decline possibly. Day 4 or 5 of the Emtryl (dimetrazole) powder at 50 mg/kg. ......

sulfur colored diarrhea, anorexia, lethargy, depression, oh ..well now he doesn't want to drink anymore. I guess that is the biggest change over the last few days.

How is he today?

A few questions...

1) How much did he weigh when you got him?
2) How much does he weigh now?
3) When did you first notice he was sick?
4) What symptoms did he show?
5) What medications and treatments did you start, and when were they started?
6) What lab tests were done, when were they done, and what were the results?

Now about the poop... You probably already know this, but birds have two types of poop. The one we see most often is what I call "regular poop", and they also have "cecal poops", which are typically passed 2-3 times a day, usually in the morning and evening. When I'm trying to diagnose something I try to get a good look at both types and I inspect them very carefully. If it's okay with you I'd like to post the poop pictures you sent in the PM so I can comment on them and hopefully get other BYC'ers to look at them, 'cause you never know, maybe someone else has been through something similar. If possible, be on the lookout for his cecal poops because and try to get some pictures of those.

Yeah, no -- I know the diff between cecal poops and regular poops and I have a gallery of all his poops in the last 3 weeks. Want me to post some of them here? Doesn't matter, he's going to UC Davis tomorrow for 2nd opinion b/c tomrrow is the earliest possible appt. If he starts dying tonight, he's going in for emergency visit.

the ones on the towel and papers only look less hideous because the towel soaked up the liquid. They are all yellow/green diarrrhea splats.

yes, it is an undigested grape that i put his denamarin in. I already picked it apart.

yes, that is my regimen. He is going through bags of LRS and jars of Kaytee like there is no tomorrow because the digestion is so fast. I kind of think there might be a concurrent problem because I feel a thickening of his crop wall, but the standing DV didn't really show anything weird to the eye and how is it possible that he only gets worse. When I started the treatment he was almost normal, but now it's as if my giving him the medicine has only fueled the disease, not hindered it. I know that's not possible, but that is how it feels.

. How long did for your birds to improve? Cuz it's sbeen over 2 weeks on this regimen and every day sucks just a little more than the one before.
I stopped by Farmer's feed two days ago and caught one of their toms so I could check the thickness of the crop, and it was definitely *much* thicker than the crop of my turkey hens, so I think what you're feeling is normal.

Last edited:
It will be interesting to hear what UC Davis says, because after looking at all of the poop pictures, and then comparing them to known blackhead poop pictures, and reading all that's been tried so far, I do not think it's blackhead. The abnormal poop looks like some type of bacterial infection. Some might ask, "but how is that possible because he's been getting Baytril and metronidazole"? Perhaps a vet could answer this better than I can, but there are bacteria that Baytril and metronidazole won't treat.

There are collections of pictures in some threads I started.

Some pictures have a diagnosis, some do not.

Last edited:
Girlfriend, you are preaching to the choir, because I am already there with each and every single thing you listed.

May I present to you Exhibit A, featuring (clockwise from left): Denmarin, Valbazen, panacur, Baytril, and Dexamethazone. (Not pictured: Vit K injectible, feeding tube&syringes, Kaytee baby bird formula, lactated ringers solution, and cayenne.) Also not featured -- and not used in this case -- are Corid, Ivermectin, and Levamisole.

Btw, the cayenne resulted in an overheated, hyperventilating bird with explosive red diarrhea for about 12 hours. No one mentions that part.

Can you confirm the dose written on your Valbazen bottle? Does it say 2ml/kg?
And what about the Baytril? Is that 100 mg/ml?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom