Dosage for Ivermectin?

bheila

Songster
11 Years
Feb 8, 2008
Kent, Wa
Can someone give me the dosage for injectable Ivermectin? Also, is it best to put it on their skin, in the water or in their mouths? I'm treating for worms and lice. I have about 50 standard hens and roosters to treat. Thank you in advance
smile.png

For that many birds, I would think that dosing the water would be the way to go. I can't imagine trying to wrangle that many chickens to drop it on their neck!
lol.png

You just have to make sure you remove all other sources of water... puddles, especially.
smile.png

Mrs. AK-Bird-Brain :

For that many birds, I would think that dosing the water would be the way to go. I can't imagine trying to wrangle that many chickens to drop it on their neck!
lol.png

You just have to make sure you remove all other sources of water... puddles, especially.
smile.png

That's what I was thinking. What about my ducks then. They are all housed together. Do you know how much Ivermectin to how much water? Also, will this work for lice? I read it on some other posts, but you always get different opinions.​

1.5 cc per gal of water dosage for chickens only

waterfowl consume too much water and can od

It will not kill the usuall dander type lice as they do not eat blood meals.

Last edited:
I had to use it on my ducks. I gave each 0.05 cc (i think) right in their mouth.

Ive read when treating chickens, Take a 1 inch strip and put it in hot water and let it sit overnight. Then pour the womer water into a 1 gallon waterer and fill up. Then give them that for 3 days. I did that on my new OEGB I purchased, just as a precaution.

I use the 1.87% paste!

Last edited:
One more thing....I know that your not supposed to eat the eggs for two weeks. So how long do I treat my chickens for? A week or?

I just finished putting it on my showgirls necks. Since the backs of their necks are bare it was pretty easy to do. I waited until they were roosting for the night and went down the line.
I have a question as well. I read this on an MSN forum, but can't post there with my question.
"Ivermectin is effective against a large variety of worms and works also against mites. You can place a drop of the oil based medication on the skin behind the neck, or administer orally: Give 7 drops orally to a bantam and 0.25cc to a large chicken. If you put it in their waterer, use 6 cc / gallon for 2 days and to treat for worms, repeat in 12 days. To inject, give subcutaneously as follows: Little bantams (rosecombs, golden seabrights: 0.5cc. Brahmas, Silkies, Orpingtons: 1.0 cc. Standards: 1.5 cc. Jersey Giants: 2cc"

My question is do I have to repeat the drop on the back of the neck? It isn't clear here if I do or not?

I've never had effective results with Ivermectin in water. It is an oil base and does not mix well at all. I use an eye dropper and apply it to the chicken's skin below their vent. I have a head lamp that has a red light and I just do them at night when they are on the roost.

I let the dog have the eggs for the ten days following. No issues. But most of them are not laying when I treat them.

I've never lost a bird from this treatment.

Back
Top Bottom