Dosage for Ivermectin?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bheila, Oct 12, 2008.

1. needmorechickens!

needmorechickens! Songster

Jul 2, 2008
    West TN
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Sorry, just noticed her signature and had to laugh!!!
    ~Rebecca

2. Kanat

Kanat In the Brooder

Oct 9, 2008
    NC
    I used 0.2 mg/kg of 1% Ivomec. I got the dose from a zoo Veterinarian. I diluted it first to 0.1 % (1 mg/ml). I had to use it because two of my birds have scaly leg mites. I gave it also for two chicks who are 9-10 weeks old. I think it worked (?).

Kanat

3. Kanat

Kanat In the Brooder

Oct 9, 2008
    NC
    I gave it orally.

I am thinking of re-dosing again in 10 days. Should I? I am just losing so many eggs (the hens that were not affected at all by mites are still laying eggs well).

Kanat

4. jcabanis

jcabanis In the Brooder

May 18, 2008
    Kanat,
    I am also in NC and having quite a battle with Northern Fowl Mites. We had red mites as well but built a new chicken house and burned the old one (take that!).
    NFM is much better now, as I have dosed all chickens with 1% ivermectin at least once. But I'm still worried because I have chicks just hatched out (and more hatching in another week).
    What has been your experience? I note your post was from 2008. Are the mites under control? Do you have anything to add to this thread? re dosage, frequency, topical or in waterer, use on chicks?
    Thanks in advance.

sylviethecochin likes this.
  5. chikinluvr12

chikinluvr12 In the Brooder

Mar 14, 2013
    I have a gapeworm problem. A lot of slugs getting in coop. Lost 3 hens and 1 turkey. Still have 3 hens and one turkey left. I got injectabke ivermectin. Everyone says that ive read) mixes it with water. But to be sure id rather jyst inject i. Does anyone knowcwhere to inject it on a turkey or hens. These are pullets. Born in may

6. casportpony

casportpony Enlightened

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I don't think Ivermectin treats gapes, but you could try. According to an abstract I read, fenbendazole at 20mg/kg three days in a row is effective against gapes.

Are you sure they don't have a respiratory infection?

-Kathy

1 person likes this.
  7. chikinluvr12

Mar 14, 2013
    would I c the gapeworm in there poo

8. casportpony

casportpony Enlightened

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    No, but you might see roundworms, tapeworms or cecal worms. Gape worms live in the esophagus.

-Kathy

9. chikinluvr12

Mar 14, 2013
    Thats what I thought. The first pullet that showed signs she had one eye closed stopped eating lost weight gaping shaking her head ruffled feathers and slept all day[​IMG]

10. chikinluvr12

Mar 14, 2013
    This turkey showed diffrent signs fine one day, the next ruffled feathers ,slept, lose of appetite third day went out to coop DEAD

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: