Dose my feed have the Daily Egg Laying Requirements ?

konjo

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 13, 2009
Santa Clarita, Ca
I wanter to ask if my feed has the Egg Laying Requirements in Nutrition also combinded with Oyster Shell, Scratch. I just want to my sure that I might not be missing somthing. They also get some scraps from the table every so often.

Thanks !!

Below is what is in the 16% Layer Crumbles:

GUARANTEED ANALYSIS:

Crude Protein Not Less Than 16.0 %
Lysine Not Less Than 0.69 %
Methionine Not Less Than 0.26 %
Crude Fat Not Less Than 3.1 %
Crude Fiber Not More Than 6.3 %
Ash Not More Than 11.9 %
Calcium Not Less Than 4.03 %
Calcium Not More Than 4.43 %
Phosphorus Not Less Than 0.52 %
Salt Not More Than 0.77 %

INGREDIENTS:
Corn, Wheat - Ground, Soybean Meal, Calcium Carbonate, Corn
Germ Meal, Safflower Meal, Wheat Millrun, Rice Bran, Aspirated
Grain Fractions, Dicalcium Phosphate, Salt, Choline Chloride,
Iron Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Manganous Oxide, Vitamin A Supplement,
Copper Sulfate, Ethylenediamine Dihydroiodide, Riboflavin
Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin Supplement, Mineral
Oil, Calcium Pantotenate, Biotin, Vitamin D3 Supplement,
Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin B12
Supplement, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex, Folic Acid

I think that looks ok, but how much scratch are you giving them? A little bit for a treat is fine, but too much and it will drop their overall protien intake pretty quick.

I'd just put the oyster shell out free choice. The ones that need it will eat it and the others won't. One cup sounds ok depending on how many chickens you have. I feed about two cups for 27 birds and double that in really cold weather because I give it in the evening too.

I also feed 22% gamebird, but that is mostly because I have some youngsters that are still growing and some older hens that have been molting and need the extra protien. It's a little more expensive, but worth it to me not to have to try to feed different groups seperately.

I think your in pretty good shape for now. If you start to notice feather eating you'll want to bump the protien up, but you should be fine as is.

One cup for two hens is quite a bit. If they're not eating their treat up within 5-10 minutes it's a good indication that it is making up more of their total diet then it should. Mine like BOSS (black oil sunflower seed) for treats too and it's a bit better for them.

You've got to do what works for you though, just keep an eye out for feather eating and such. Since you're only feeding two you might just want to go ahead and put them on a higher protien feed like the gamebird or flockraiser and then you don't need to be so careful about the treats.

Have you ever tried giving them leftover spaghetti noodles? It is hysterical!
lau.gif

Take a wild gess what's for dinner tonight "" spaghetti noodles "". When I give them spaghetti I cut it all up but maybe not for tomorrow. As far as the gamebird or flockraiser who sells this, Dose Walmart ?

I don't know if you can get it at walmart or not. I get it at my local feed store, I just found out they were bought out by Tractor Supply Company so if you have one of those in your area I'm sure you could get it there. The gamebird feed comes in several different protien levels so make sure you get at least 22%. I think it goes up to 28% but that high is probably not needed.

That is funny about your dinner tonight! Leftover mac and cheese is always a big hit too and I'm pretty sure if I wanted to take the time I could train my girls to do circus tricks as long as I was using grapes as their reward.

Back
Top Bottom