Feeding ducks vs chickens

lala3hens

Chirping
9 Years
Jun 19, 2013
Hello, I have 3 ducks and 6 hens. I just switched to a new chicken food and am not sure if it will work for the ducks or if I should buy separate food for them. This is the chicken food I am using if anyone knows. Thanks
  • Natural Farm Feed Premium Layer Feed for Egg Laying Poultry
    • CRUDE PROTEIN MIN 16%
    • LYSINE MIN 0.8%
    • METHIONINE MIN 0.3%
    • CRUDE FAT MIN 3.0%
    • CRUDE FIBER MAX 6.0%
    • CALCIUM MIN 3.0%
    • CALCIUM MAX 4.0%
    • PHOSPHORUS MIN 0.6%
    • SALT MIN 0.25%
    • SALT MAX 0.75%
    • INGREDIENTS: Ground Whole Triticale, Ground Whole Barley, Ground Whole Peas, Camelina Meal, Calcium Carbonate, Dicalcium Phosphate, PREMIX: Organic Kelp Meal, Organic Wheat Middlings, DL-Methionine, Calcium Carbonate, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Menadione Dimethylprimidinol Bi-Sulfite, Riboflavin Supplement, D-Calcium Pantothenate, Niacin Supplement, Choline Chloride, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Folic Acid, Thiamine Mononitrate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Biotin, Manganese Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Zinc Sulfate, Sodium Selenite, Active Dry Yeast, Dried Aspergillus Oryzae Fermentation Extract, Dried Aspergillus Niger Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus Acidophilus Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus Casei Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus Plantarum Fermentation Product, Dried Enterococcus Faecium Fermentation Product, Dried Bacillus Licheniformis Fermentation Product, Dried Bacillus Subtilis Fermentation Product, Organic Vegetable Oil; Salt, Canola Oil.

Attachments

• DAE3809C-0C6A-4FE6-959B-B1320727FCBE.jpeg
    DAE3809C-0C6A-4FE6-959B-B1320727FCBE.jpeg
    251.1 KB · Views: 26
  • 2990DA0B-B660-4FE7-8A0A-E0DB434824EA.jpeg
    2990DA0B-B660-4FE7-8A0A-E0DB434824EA.jpeg
    654.8 KB · Views: 4
I do not have ducks,,,, only chickens,, I feed my chickens Alflock,,, which is supposed to cover all your flock birds. My choice reason is for the lower 2% calcium,,, since not all my chickens lay eggs. (I do supplement oyster shells free-choice)
My Alflock label is similar to your label.
Here is a clip copy of your ingredient post. Note I circled Niacin supplement.
image_2021-10-14_150115.png

Ducks need a larger quantity of niacin than chickens. Apparently my Alflock contains sufficient amount to cover both ducks, and chickens. If you research further, you may find,,,,, that adding some brewers yeast to the ducks' feed may be beneficial.
Lets see what some of the "Heavy Duty" duck owners chime in with :idunno

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,:highfive:

I do not have ducks,,,, only chickens,, I feed my chickens Alflock,,, which is supposed to cover all your flock birds. My choice reason is for the lower 2% calcium,,, since not all my chickens lay eggs. (I do supplement oyster shells free-choice)
My Alflock label is similar to your label.
Here is a clip copy of your ingredient post. Note I circled Niacin supplement.
View attachment 2865861

Ducks need a larger quantity of niacin than chickens. Apparently my Alflock contains sufficient amount to cover both ducks, and chickens. If you research further, you may find,,,,, that adding some brewers yeast to the ducks' feed may be beneficial.
Lets see what some of the "Heavy Duty" duck owners chime in with :idunno

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,:highfive:
Thanks so much for your insight!

You can feed ducks and chickens the same feed. Do you have any males? They would need a non laying feed as the calcium is too high.
Some ducks just need more niacin than even the feeds geared for ducks provide. I always recommend supplementing for the first 6 months with nutritional yeast no matter what feed you offer.

Back
Top Bottom