Dosing chicks for cocci before symptoms appear?

Westmarch

Chirping
5 Years
Nov 4, 2014
Hi all!

I'm a first time BYCer (and my husband is on this adventure with me). We have our first batch of six in the brooder right now - five of them are a week old and one a little older.

The older one is a big ol Easter Egger we picked up at the feed store yesterday. Now, here is the issue. I wasn't planning to buy her (...um, chicken math) and like a dope, I did not quarantine her when we got home because it's still pretty cold where we live and I was so concerned about getting her under the heat that it totally DID NOT occur to me. (It's my first time... I will be smarter next time!)

Anyway, now I am concerned that my other five babies may pick something up from her, and I'm primarily concerned about cocci because they are getting organic starter feed with no coccistat. They are very healthy, everyone seems to be pooping normally (occasional watery poo, but not every time) and are eating and drinking happily. But it's only been about 36 hours, so I realize nothing would have happened yet.

What should I be watching for in case they get sick? Should we start dosing them with Corid or something else as a preventative measure?

I feel silly asking this... but I have been reading so many wonderful posts here and I have learned so much that I knew I would feel better if I asked.

Thank you! Pics attached of the whole mini-flock, the troublemaker in question, and an example poo just in case. :)

No worries, what's done is done. If you notice a lot of runny poop be ready with the corid. It is not terrible if caught early and the newbies could of came with the problem. It is just a over proliferation of the cocci so sometimes it takes awhile.
Edit..that is perfectly normal looking poo.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom