double and triple yolkers

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by locopollo1, Aug 7, 2014.

1. locopollo1

locopollo1 New Egg

Jun 17, 2014
    Good morning all! I am just so curious what are the odds that one hen will lay a double yolker every single day? Yesterday we had one triple yolker and a double yolker. The hens that are laying right now are out Rhode Island Red's. They are the most beautiful chickens, truly. My daughter picks them up daily and holds them. We also have some Black Jersey Giants (6) and they are about 5 months old but I do not believe they have laid any yet. I am just curious if anyone has any statistics about triple yolks and laying a double yolk daily. Thanks so much- Lisa[​IMG]

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    No statistics but it's fairly common with pullets until their reproductive tract gets synched up.

I love JGs. I've had black, white and blue. I call them gentle giants. Do your RIRs bully the JGs?

3. locopollo1

locopollo1 New Egg

Jun 17, 2014
    Initially they really did, but not so much anymore. We have one hen who is super bossy but the Black Jersey's' kind of ignore her now! LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by