Double laced Barnevelder roo over various hens colour advice please.

Chicalina

Crowing
Aug 1, 2020
UK
I would like some advice to help me decide whether to keep one of my two Barnevelder roos for breeding or get rid of them both. I think they are considered red, or is it black for genetics purposes? Pic below.

So, I have the following hens and would love to know what colours I'd get if I bred them with one of the Barnevelders.

Partridge silkie
Buff laced Polish
White crested Cuckoo Polish
White frizzle Polish
Splash blue laced red Wyandotte
Welsummer

And I am hatching Sussexes for next year's breeding in the following colours (assuming I get pullets):

Light
Red
Speckled
Silver

Will the Light Sussex, White Polish and any others produce sex links with this cross? What else can I expect from any of these pairings?

20220505_095431.jpg

He is a bantam! Sorry, should have mentioned that.

All mine are bantams. I also have micro bantams but don't count those because he won't breed them.

He appears to be single laced
X partridge-incomplete red laced
X buff laced-paint laced red
X white crested cuckoo-sexlinks: leaky cuckoo males, leaky black females
X white-could be anything from lacing to leaky black.
X splash laced red-blue laced red
X Welsummer incomplete red laced
X Light (silver columbian)- sexlinks: red gold/silver heterozygous incomplete laced males, red incomplete laced females
X Red-red incomplete laced
X Speckled-red incomplete laced
X silver- some kind of leaky black with red gold/silver males and red females?

He appears to be single laced
X partridge-incomplete red laced
X buff laced-paint laced red
X white-could be anything from lacing to leaky black.
X splash laced red-blue laced red
X Welsummer incomplete red laced
X Light (silver columbian)- sexlinks: red gold/silver heterozygous incomplete laced males, red incomplete laced females
X Red-red incomplete laced
X Speckled-red incomplete laced
Comprehensive, thanks!

Double Laced Barnevelder roosters show single lacing, it's the hens that show the double lacing. Does this make any difference to your predictions?

When you say incomplete lacing, do you mean speckly splodges or just poor lacing markings?

And the sex link with colombian, are we talking about white males, buff female chicks? that is kinda what I was expecting. I don't understand your description 😳

The sex link with cuckoo, what colour is leaking?

The cross with the buff laced - paint laced red sounds really interesting!

Thanks for your input.

Comprehensive, thanks!

Double Laced Barnevelder roosters show single lacing, it's the hens that show the double lacing. Does this make any difference to your predictions?

When you say incomplete lacing, do you mean speckly splodges or just poor lacing markings?

And the sex link with colombian, are we talking about white males, buff female chicks? that is kinda what I was expecting. I don't understand your description 😳

The sex link with cuckoo, what colour is leaking?

The cross with the buff laced - paint laced red sounds really interesting!

Thanks for your input.
Oh, I thought the double-laced roosters had black breasts. Whoops. Silly me.
Yeah that makes a difference.
Incomplete just means poor lacing, which could be expressed in many ways.
X partridge-incomplete double laced
X buff laced-incomplete paint laced red
X white-could be anything from lacing to leaky black. Anything.
X splash laced red-incomplete blue laced red
X Welsummer incomplete red double laced
X Red-incomplete double laced
X Speckled-incomplete double laced

In the case of Columbian I don't know how the down will express. Light is another term for silver Columbian so the male chicks should look like Columbian/light, and the females should look red Columbian (which would look similarish to a New Hampshire or RIR.) But when they grow the males will express yellow and red.

Leaky- that just is my way of saying they have leakage that is red, silver and/or gold but I don't know what color it will be since that depends upon whether your cuckoo is silver or gold based and the sex of the chicks.

Incomplete just means poor lacing, which could be expressed in many ways.
X partridge-incomplete double laced
X buff laced-incomplete paint laced red
X white-could be anything from lacing to leaky black. Anything.
X splash laced red-incomplete blue laced red
X Welsummer incomplete red double laced
X Red-incomplete double laced
X Speckled-incomplete double laced

In the case of Columbian I don't know how the down will express. Light is another term for silver Columbian so the male chicks should look like Columbian/light, and the females should look red Columbian (which would look similarish to a New Hampshire or RIR.) But when they grow the males will express yellow and red.

Leaky- that just is my way of saying they have leakage that is red, silver and/or gold but I don't know what color it will be since that depends upon whether your cuckoo is silver or gold based and the sex of the chicks.
Amazing, thank you!

Double laced barnevelder roosters aren’t single laced, so I think your rooster is a different variety. Can you get more pictures of him?

Really interesting article here about how the black breast was bred out in the UK for lacing about 100 years ago compared to the original black breast in the Netherlands. So maybe there are BBRs still knocking around? Mine has a laced breast.

https://cluckin.net/the-barnevelder.html

Back
Top Bottom