Double Whammy...

CT Coop

Songster
10 Years
Feb 5, 2011
I have a closed flock and normally vaccinate chicks for Marek's when they hatch, but I had a hatch of 3, so decided to gamble and lost. One of those chicks, who is now a 5 mo old pullet developed a lame leg 6 weeks ago. She is eating drinking and otherwise normal just hobbling along as best she can. I am wondering how many have had Marek's survivors? I know it will never go away, but I believe I have read that they can survive it. Thankfully, the other 2 pullets are still fine, but I know not out of the woods.

And the double whammy is that she now has Bumble Foot on the hock joint that she sorta of drags along. So, I am treating that with the Tricide Neo. I'm only on Day 4 and it already looks better. Here is a pic on the 1st day of treatment. I will update this post, if it continues to get better.

Attachments

• Bumble Hock.jpg
    Bumble Hock.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 13
soaking it in Warm Epsom Salt water while it heals will help too. When I'm treating I do it 2 times a day, but if she has Merreks and the leg is paralyzed already and causing this kind of issue it is going to keep coming back until she passes, that isn't quality of life for a chicken and you may want to think about putting her to rest

I am prepared for that, but while she still seems to have a "zest" for life, I will wait. She is using the leg and still getting around on her own and doesn't seem to be in pain. She stands up for herself, when the others try to take her treats...so as long as she does that, I'll let her keep it up.

I am prepared for that, but while she still seems to have a "zest" for life, I will wait. She is using the leg and still getting around on her own and doesn't seem to be in pain. She stands up for herself, when the others try to take her treats...so as long as she does that, I'll let her keep it up.
make her a pair of leg armor? so she don't keep hurting the other parts then? not sure what you would use though to still give her the best mobility.

Anyone else wanna chime in on helping this special needs chicks protect the paralyzed egg?
@Eggcessive
@oldhenlikesdogs
@dawg53

Tricide Neo is supposed to be very good for helping dermatitis in chickens. I would make sure that her bedding is very soft and dry, since fecal matter and moisture are the main factors in skin breakdown of a disabled chicken. Do you ever use a chicken sling or chair for her? Here is a link to some good pictures of homemade slings:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/versions-of-chick-chairs-please.1166308/

Thank you for that link! I was going to try a chicken wheelchair, but not for $400+, so I ordered a baby doll walker today, which I will place her in so she isn't always on the ground....she does get around, but is often resting on the ground, so this will give her more time off the ground. I am hoping the wheels work, but if not, I will add larger wheels, so that she might be able to push herself along. Once the Bumblefoot/hock heels I will also wrap her hock, so she isn't constantly dragging that skin. My daughter is a vet (although not avian/poultry :( ), and she will be visiting in a few weeks, so I will consult with her on the best options to protect that skin from further injury.

Back
Top Bottom