Double yolk egg question

diggerduck

Songster
10 Years
Apr 21, 2011
Marion, IL.
I think I know the answer but figured I would ask. I have a hen laying double yolks and I have yet pinpointed the culprit. I have narrowed it down to one cage though. The question: Is it a bad idea to try and hatch these eggs? I have never heard of any kind of bird twins, and figured there wouldn't be enough room in the egg for two. Just wanted a little guiding light on the subject. Thanks, Steve.

they usually dont but you can try it
smile.png

Quote:
For some reason, my computer hates Youtube, so I can't watch the video, but I have heard of success stories where a double yolker chicken egg has been set and two small, but healthy chicks come out. I think its not normally recommended, though, because they are small and they can have health problems with them. And sometimes, one of them is worse off and doesn't survive. I don't know how it would work with a quail egg, though, especially as the chicks are so small anyway!!
big_smile.png

Quote:
For some reason, my computer hates Youtube, so I can't watch the video, but I have heard of success stories where a double yolker chicken egg has been set and two small, but healthy chicks come out. I think its not normally recommended, though, because they are small and they can have health problems with them. And sometimes, one of them is worse off and doesn't survive. I don't know how it would work with a quail egg, though, especially as the chicks are so small anyway!!
big_smile.png

i wouldn't want to assist hatch a double yolk quail egg... I would need a magnifying glass and better eyes than I have now!

the twins in this video did great.. here's the link to her original thread along with updates https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=104245&p=1

Back
Top Bottom