Double yolk egg question

Discussion in 'Quail' started by diggerduck, Aug 25, 2011.

1. diggerduck

diggerduck Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2011
    Marion, IL.
    I think I know the answer but figured I would ask. I have a hen laying double yolks and I have yet pinpointed the culprit. I have narrowed it down to one cage though. The question: Is it a bad idea to try and hatch these eggs? I have never heard of any kind of bird twins, and figured there wouldn't be enough room in the egg for two. Just wanted a little guiding light on the subject. Thanks, Steve.

2. Wisher1000

Wisher1000 Bama Biddy

No, they usually don't hatch...eat them suckers!

3. thekid

thekid Chillin' With My Peeps

they usually dont but you can try it [​IMG]

4. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

5. animal8

animal8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2011
    Oxford
    Quote:For some reason, my computer hates Youtube, so I can't watch the video, but I have heard of success stories where a double yolker chicken egg has been set and two small, but healthy chicks come out. I think its not normally recommended, though, because they are small and they can have health problems with them. And sometimes, one of them is worse off and doesn't survive. I don't know how it would work with a quail egg, though, especially as the chicks are so small anyway!! [​IMG]

6. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

Quote:For some reason, my computer hates Youtube, so I can't watch the video, but I have heard of success stories where a double yolker chicken egg has been set and two small, but healthy chicks come out. I think its not normally recommended, though, because they are small and they can have health problems with them. And sometimes, one of them is worse off and doesn't survive. I don't know how it would work with a quail egg, though, especially as the chicks are so small anyway!! [​IMG]

i wouldn't want to assist hatch a double yolk quail egg... I would need a magnifying glass and better eyes than I have now!

the twins in this video did great.. here's the link to her original thread along with updates https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=104245&p=1

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by